27 | Swelled With Gratitude

I felt the sun, warm against my skin, and I was glad I couldn't see that, either

I felt the sun, warm against my skin, and I was glad I couldn't see that, either. I didn't want to look at myself now. For the longest half second I'd ever lived through, everything was silent. And then Jungkook screamed.

"Taehyung!"

My eyes flashed open, and I fully expected to see him running away from all I had just revealed myself to be. But he was running right at me in a collision course, his mouth open in distress. His hands were half-extended toward me, and he tripped and stumbled his way through the long grass. His expression wasn't frightened, but it was desperate. I didn't understand what he was doing.

I couldn't let him crash into me, whatever he was intending. I needed him to keep his distance. I raised my hand again, palm forward.

He faltered, then wobbled in place for a moment, exuding anxiety.

As I stared into his eyes, saw my reflection there, I thought perhaps I understood. Mirrored in his eyes, what I resembled most was a man on fire. Though I'd debunked his myths, he must have held on to them subconsciously. Because he was worried. Frightened for the monster rather than of it.

He took a step toward me, and then hesitated when I moved a half step back.

"Does that hurt you?" he whispered.

Yes, I'd been right. He wasn't afraid for himself, not even now.

"No," I whispered back.

He stepped another foot closer, careful now. I let my hand fall. He still wanted to be closer to me.

His expression shifted as he approached. His head cocked to the side, and his eyes first narrowed, then grew huge. Even with this much space between us, I could see the effects of the light refracting off my skin shining prism-like against his own. He moved another step and then another, keeping the same distance away as he slowly circled around me.

I stayed completely motionless, feeling his eyes touch my skin as he moved out of my sight. His breath came more quickly than usual, his heart pumped faster. He reappeared on my right, and now there was a tiny smile beginning to form around the edges of his lips as he completed his circle and faced me again.

How could he smile?

He walked closer, stopping when he was only ten inches away. His hand was raised, curled close to his chest, as if he wanted to reach out and touch me but was afraid to. The sunlight shattered off my arm and whirled against his face.

"Taehyung," he breathed. There was wonder in his voice.

"Are you frightened now?" I asked quietly.

It was as if my question was totally unexpected, as if it shocked him. "No."

"