36 | Nothing More Than a Teenage Boy

The time always went so quickly

The time always went so quickly. Soon Jungkook would need to eat another meal, and currently there was no food at all in my house; I planned to rectify that in the near future. Time to return to the human world. As long as we were together, it was not a burden but a joy. So a meal, a little while to soak up his nearness, and then I'd have to leave him. I expected he would want to talk to Jaewoo alone before my introduction.

But as soon as I turned onto his street, it was clear that my expectations for the afternoon were thwarted. A 1987 Ford Tempo that had seen better days was parked in Jaewoo's usual spot. And under the meager protection of the porch roof, a boy stood behind a man in a wheelchair.

Jungkook beat him home, the old man thought. That's unfortunate.

Hey, it's Jungkook! The boy's thoughts were much more enthusiastic.

I could think of only one reason that Minho Kim would be unhappy to see Jungkook arrive before his father. And that reason involved a broken treaty. I would have confirmation soon enough; Minho hadn't seen me yet.

"Has he forgotten who the treaty actually protects?" I hissed.

Jungkook glanced up at me, confused, though I doubted I'd spoken slowly enough for my words to be intelligible.

Minghyu saw me in the driver's seat just a second before Minho did. Him again. So Jungkook must be dating him. Or could they just be best buds? Naw, they're probably dating. His enthusiasm vanished.

NO! Minho's thought was a shout, and then a mental groan. No. I heard his half-articulated fears-should he tell his son to run? Was it already too late? And then his guilt. How did it know?

I saw that I was right, that this visit was no innocent social call. Parking the truck against the curb, I locked eyes with the frightened man.

"This is crossing the line." I enunciated clearly this time. I hoped he could read my lips.

Jungkook understood immediately

Jungkook understood immediately. "He came to warn Jaewoo?" He sounded horrified by the idea.

I nodded, not breaking away from Minho's stare.
After a second more, he looked down.