40 | He Didn't Care

I revved the engine, then executed a tight U-turn, in a different kind of hurry now

I revved the engine, then executed a tight U-turn, in a different kind of hurry now. I wanted to get the bait part over with as quickly as possible.

"Hoseok?" Jungkook asked.

I could see in Hoseok's mind that he was looking at his fettered hands.

"Oh, sorry," Hoseok muttered, freeing him. He waited for me to object, then relaxed when I didn't.

Now that the decision was made, I focused on Jimin's visions again. There weren't very many options, maybe thirty solid versions. In most of them, the tracker would show up at Jaewoo's house about two minutes after we did, keeping a safe distance. In a few, he came after we were gone. But even in those, he ignored Jaewoo and followed our trail.

After that, the possibilities narrowed further. We would go home. The tracker would stay even farther back, not wanting to risk a confrontation. The redhead would be waiting for him there. My family would split up. In no version did Laurent help Kai and Jennie. So we would only have to split into three groups.

The one thing I didn't understand was how the makeup of those three groups kept shifting. It didn't make sense. Regardless, the next part was very clear.

"This is how it's going to happen," I explained to Hoseok. "When we get to the house, if the tracker is not there, I will walk him to the door. Then he has fifteen minutes." I met Jungkook's eyes in the mirror again. "Hoseok, you take the outside of the house. Jimin, you get the truck. I'll be inside as long as he is. After he's out, you two can take the Jeep home and tell Namjoon."

"No way," Hoseok objected. "I'm with you." You owe me one, remember? It shouldn't surprise me he would want that. This was probably why the future groupings were confused.

"Think it through, Hoseok. I don't know how long I'll be gone."

"Until we know how far this is going to go, I'm with you."

There was no wavering in his mind. Maybe it was for the best. I let it go. In Jimin's head, it was Namjoon and Yoongi hunting in the forest now.

"If the tracker is there," I continued, "we keep driving."

"We're going to make it there before him," Jimin insisted.

It was ninety-nine percent certain, but I wasn't taking any chances with some outlier version that was less clear than the others.

"What are we going to do with the Jeep?" Jimin asked.

"You're driving it home."

"No, I'm not," he said with absolute certainty.

The vision of how we would divide shifted around again. I growled a string of archaic curses in his direction.

Jungkook interrupted in a low voice. "We can't all fit in my truck."