41 | I Had A Job To Do

We were far enough from the house now (though I could still hear Jaewoo's frozen thoughts, motionless in the doorway) that Jimin jumped up into the Jeep and started the engine

We were far enough from the house now (though I could still hear Jaewoo's frozen thoughts, motionless in the doorway) that Jimin jumped up into the Jeep and started the engine. When the headlights came on behind us, Jungkook stiffened and twisted to stare out the back window, heart thudding.

"It's just Jimin." I took his left hand now and squeezed it.

"The tracker?" he whispered.

He's following now. Jimin could hear Jungkook's whisper easily over the grind of the engine. Hobi's waiting till he's clear of the house.

"He heard the end of your performance," I told him.

"Jaewoo?" His voice strained raw.

Jimin kept me updated. The tracker's past the house. I don't see him going back. Hobi's catching up.

"The tracker followed us," I assured Jungkook. "He's running behind us now."

This did not comfort him

This did not comfort him. His breath caught and then he whispered, "Can we outrun him?"

"No," I admitted. Not in this ridiculous truck.

Jungkook turned to watch out the window, though I was sure the Jeep's headlights would blind him to everything else. Jimin was watching all the futures related to Jaewoo that he could perceive. A human he'd never met was not the easiest subject for him. But it didn't look as if the hunter or his apprehensive companion had any plans to return.

Hoseok was running in the road close behind us now. I was surprised at his intentions. I would have expected he'd be itching to catch the tracker in pursuit, to bring this ordeal to a quick and violent end. Instead, his thoughts were focused on Jungkook. His few moments as bodyguard seemed to have affected him deeply. His safety was his current priority. Jungkook brought out everyone's protective side.

Hoseok was imagining the tracker watching; only Jimin and I knew he was carefully keeping his distance, just following the sound of the truck through the darkness. He wouldn't put himself in closer range tonight. Still, Hoseok wanted to make it clear that the tracker would have to go directly through him to get to Jungkook. He made a running leap that propelled him over the Jeep and into the bed of the truck. I fought with the steering as the truck reacted.