Valentime's Day

The scent of freshly made waffles and delicious maple syrup waft through the air and into Y/n's bedroom. It's still early in the morning, which is why Y/n's currently buried underneath the blankets on her bed. As soon as she catches a whiff of the fresh breakfast being prepared downstairs, though, she's throwing the blankets off of her and racing toward the kitchen.

When she reaches the bottom of the stairs, she spots her mom placing a plate of five waffles on the kitchen table. They're covered in syrup, whipped cream, and various kinds of fruit. The chair screeches as it's slid across the hardware floor.

"Good morning, Mom. This looks delicious," Y/n greets as she digs into the waffles. She cuts off a large chunk, making sure the bite includes a little of everything, and pops it into her mouth. "Mm, it is delicious," she hums in approval.

"I'm glad you like it," M/n smiles at her daughter. "Happy early Valentine's Day, sweetheart."

"Happy early Valentine's Day, Mom," Y/n smiles, wrapping her arms around her mom in a hug. "I love you so much. Where's Dad?" she asks once she realizes that the house is vacant except for herself and her mom.

"Your dad's not here right now. He had to be at work early, but he'll be here to celebrate with us on Valentine's Day," M/n assures her daughter. "Do you need a ride to school?"

"Nope, the Harpers are taking me today," Y/n replies before pushing her now empty plate away from her. "Well, I better get ready for school." She flashes one last smile at her mom before disappearing up the stairs.

~~~

The school day felt like it had progressed slowly, but it's finally nearing the end of the day. Y/n is sitting in her seat as she places all of her cards into a pile. Everyone in the class has received at least one Valentine's Day card, but the quads are the few only ones to turn it into a competition.

"Twenty eight, twenty nine, thirty," Ricky and Nicky count in unison.

"Guess we're tied," Ricky sighs in disappointment. "We got the same number of Valentines."

The boys spin around rapidly as a bag full of Valentines is dropped in front of them. "Boom! Read 'em and weep, losers," Dicky taunts his brothers. "Looks like I won the Valentime's contest."

A look of horror crosses Ricky's face as he spins around to stare at his brother in shock. "Did you just say Valentime's?"

Dicky, remaining as relaxed and nonchalant as ever, shrugs. "Yeah, that's what it's called."

Ricky's state only grows more intense as he corrects Dicky. "No, it's not. It's Valentine's."

"That's ridiculous," Dicky protests. "It's the time that dude Valen comes and shoots people with his bone and marrow."

Ricky's face is turning redder and redder by the second. Y/n is rather surprised that he's managed to keep it together as much as he has. "It's bow and arrow."

"Now you're just making stuff up."

Y/n, who was watching the argument with interest, quickly jumps back in surprise as a giant Valentine's Day card almost smacks her in the face. "It's official. I'm the big winner. Check out what I got from Mae," Dawn announces to her siblings as she proudly opens the card.

Once the card is fully open, a giant cardboard cutout of Mae pops up. "Mae you have a happy Valentine's Day!" Mae's voice says over the recorder.

Y/n once again jolts back in surprise as the real Mae jumps forward. "Mae you have a happy Valentine's Day!" she copies her cardboard cutout, even mimicking its movements. Mae's smile only grows larger as she spots Y/n staring at the card. "Don't worry, Y/n. I didn't forget you," she assures her other friend. Y/n watches in confusion and excitement as she turns around and grabs another giant card from where it's leaning against the wall.