IT WAS REAL AND I DIED

"You saw me."

"Yeah... I did."

"Were you scared?"

"No." I was, why did I lie? I was terrified, trembling.

"Can't you look at me?"

"I don't want to."

What was this voice? I didn't recognize it, all I could see was the black in front of me, and my own legs.

I felt the hand grab me by my chin, forcing my head to the side. I stared into the jet black missing eyes, but I did recognize the curly brown hair.

"It was real, it happened. And I died!"

I shot up with a sharp gasp, looking down at myself to see I was still in my gray jacket I zipped up, and I was on the sidewalk I collapsed on.

A dream... It was just a dream. Thank God.

"Hey, kid, do you got any cigarettes on ya'?"

I looked over, seeing a homeless man a few feet away from me, sitting on the same sidewalk as me. I can't remember if he was here earlier, the moment I stopped I passed out.

"No."

"I didn't wanna check you while you were sleeping and someone think was touchin' ya," he laughed.

I gave him a disgusted look, quickly getting to my feet before walking away, back to my house.

I didn't bring my phone with me, God knows what time it is. I have school tomorrow, but should I really go? I doubt it'll matter, they probably won't teach much.

As Lucas said, everyone's in mourning over the dead kid.

I slowly slowed down, that's right... The dead kid.

What the hell am I supposed to do now?

The memories of touching his eyes flew back into my head as I started to stumble, for some reason I felt my vision fading into black spots. I grabbed the fence beside me, slumping down onto the sidewalk.

I need to get my head straight. My chest hurts so bad, it hasn't stopped if I'm being entirely honest. It just hurts a bit more when I think about his face, or his name, anything about him.

Suffocation. I'm suffocating, I can't breathe. It's just getting tighter, I can clearly hear myself inhaling and exhaling harshly but I can't... I can't feel myself breathing.

Wait... Why am I the one freaking out?

After several moments I finally let out a heavy sigh that seemed to cure everything, I could inhale and exhale normally again.

But still, that weight remained. Like a permanent paranoia eating at my lungs, or maybe my heart. The only difference was the fact I could consciously feel it.

Let me think about this logically. I just saw Jaxon Walker's real dead body, his eyes missing, his heart missing, two large black holes taking them.

He died on a Wednesday night in Butchers Forest, and the police are calling it a suicide.

Now I know with absolute certainty, that was not suicide. If I wasn't desperate before, I am now.

What killed Jaxon Walker?

~

By the time I reached my house the sky started to turn a light shade of gray, no indication of the sun. I never see the sun in Witchfield.

Walking up my gray steps slowly, I stopped when I saw the rolled up newspaper. I picked it up for mom, opening it as I reached for the door handle, but I stopped.