happy memories

Something about Alessandra rubbed me the wrong way. The moment I sat down I felt compelled to talk about Jaxon, the topic I wanted to actually avoid.

And somehow, someway, she started spewing about him immediately. Like she knew I was there for him, not myself.

And inside that box she gave me was a tape. A VHS one, like I'm some sort of senior citizen. Fortunately mom had one in her bedroom, I was able to use it while she was at work but the damn thing didn't work at all.

All just fuzzy and loud static. I guess I'll have to find a better player or give up on the tape entirely, whatever it is. I might not ever know, it's probably useless. Maybe just a marketing campaign for her own work? I don't know why she'd ever give it to me.

Anyway,

I'm not getting visions. I'm not hallucinating, I'm not making this up. I'm being haunted by a ghost who wants me to figure out how he died.

That's the only possible explanation I can come up with. How I knew Ms. Bennet's name, how I knew Alessandra. Why I was even brought to his shed in the first place, it's too coincidental.

Am I telling Tom this? Absolutely not.

Just what the hell do I do? I'm at a loss here. I was doing great. Tom, Andi, Ms. Bennet, everything was pointing me in the direction but now I'm stuck.

The tape is one thing but I don't even know what's on it, she didn't say anything else before telling me to never come back. I tried, but she wouldn't let me.

He died on a Wednesday. The day before, he went to Andi and tried to get her back, and he told her he was going to die. He wrote in his journal about her that if he's going to die, he wants her to be there.

Everything about this screams a suicide but fuck. That fucking body. That fucking picture.

It gets creepier each time I think of it. I can't feel sorrier for the guy. I can't stand him at all, in fact I fucking hate him for dying so horribly and making me obsessed with him.

But from the sounds of it, it sounded like Andi was the one thing he actually really liked.

I don't know why they broke up. Something about the page "I want to be blind" a day before his last page made me think. He seemed pretty happy and like he did really like her, so what went wrong?

I could just ask her.

The sound of my phone suddenly going off caused me to jump immediately, I relaxed once I realized Tom was just calling me.

Why is Tom calling me?

"Hello?"

"Hey man, you busy?" He sounded fine.

"Not really, what's up?"

"The fair tomorrow... I was thinking we should go."

Slowly I moved the journal off of my lap, leaning upwards on my bed in confusion. Did I hear right?

"Both of us?"

Tom laughed, "yeah, it'd be fun."

I didn't even know the fair was in town. It didn't seem like the season. Have I been that sidetracked?

Wait, this is a good thing. A great thing, actually. It's the break I've been wishing for. The distraction from Jaxon.

"Yeah, that sounds good."

"Cool, see you tomorrow then."

He immediately hung up, I guess Tom isn't a texter.

Man, the fair. I haven't been in years. I always did really like the rides as a kid.