Because Of You (Gender Neutral Reader X Wanda Maximoff)

College AU (Gender Neutral Reader X Wanda Maximoff)
Summary: Wanda discovers a crush she never thought of.
Word Count: 1.2K

Wanda Maximoff wasn't sure when it happened, but one day, she started looking at you a little bit differently.

She started noticing how your laughter made her smile longer and more than it used to. Or how when you talked about your friend Kate Bishop from the Archery team, it made her jealous. Not that she even needed to worry because everyone knew about Kate and Yelena's long-standing relationship.

But Wanda still didn't like the feeling she got when you joked around and made plans with Kate or Carol or any other girl that wasn't her.

Regardless, Wanda wasn't sure what to do. You guys had been friends since your second year of high school.  Now, in your second year at university, Wanda needed more time to think. She didn't want to ruin anything between the two of you. Because deep down, Wanda knew you would always be fine whether she shared what was inside of her or not.

After a month of sitting on these ever-growing feelings, Wanda was going to do something about it. She had acted as if nothing had changed between you both. But Wanda was falling more for you every day. And call her crazy, but she could've sworn you had started falling for her between game nights and movie nights, where you two fell asleep in each other's arms—or talked into the morning. Or how you made sure to stay up late and sleep through your first class, all to help Wanda pass her exam.

Wanda was sure you fell, too.

So she made a choice.

Wanda was going to ask you out.

She remembers the day. She got back from the library frustrated from how the rain washed out the smell of you from her favorite hoodie—a hoodie you let her borrow two years prior. Plus, Pietro and his group of friends from track distracting her from taking notes the last hour hadn't helped. On top of those two things, Wanda hasn't seen you at all today. She thought she saw you in the library, but Wanda was wrong.

She missed you. She missed you when she had to get to Professor Fury's class early for some extra credit, and you didn't have time to hang out during her free period. So now, after a wasted library time and missed dinner, Wanda was mad. Mad at today and the way her feelings made her want to scream. All she wanted was you, and the fear of not telling you wasn't winning today.

So what did Wanda do?

She threw her bag and books down onto the shared couch and sprinted her way to your door in the shared suite. Wanda knocked on it like a secret code was separating the two of you. Oh, sweet Wanda was so distracted thinking of the right words and how to phrase them that she didn't even realize that this door was never closed.

Never.

So when it opened and didn't reveal you but instead senior Natasha Romanoff, Wanda's heart cracked in half and sank. "Oh, hi! Wanda right?" She spoke, not knowing that Wanda didn't want to talk to her. Wanda didn't even want to look at her. But Wanda couldn't see past the redhead and was raised to be polite, so she swallowed her tears and smiled.

"Yeah. Hi. Sorry, I didn't know we were having guests." Wanda hated how nonchalant Natasha was in this moment. "Oh, it's no big deal. I came over because I figured I could help Y/N pick out classes for next year." Natasha winked. She fucking winked. "You know, same major and all."

"Right.." Wanda mumbled.

You and Wanda were supposed to do that together. Not that that hurt more than knowing that you and Natasha did not have the same major. Thanks to Yelena and her loud mouth, Wanda knew precisely what major Natasha was graduating with in the spring.

"Wanda?" Finally, you made your presence known as you snuck right up to Natasha, who slung her arm over your body. The fire that burned behind Wanda's eyes tried to light again but failed when she saw how wide your smile was. "What happened? You're soaked?" You moved forward towards Wanda, who held the end of the sleeves in her hand. Something you always noticed. A way you knew she was uncomfortable. But tonight, you didn't comment on it. "Yeah, um, it just started raining." Wanda looked away from your eyes and pretended that she forgot the reason for knocking on your door. She couldn't remember what excuse she came up with.

"Oh shit!" The person separating the two of you spoke up. "If it's raining, that means I have to go and pick up Yelena. Kate and her are in an off period right now." Natasha runs back into the room. Wanda knows she'll never step foot in again. "Hey, you okay?" You finally go to take hold of Wanda's hands, but she pulls them back. "Yeah, I'm fine.." Wanda puts her hands into the hoodie pocket. But her mind fights with her. "Well, actually-"

"Alright!" Natasha opens the door with her bag and books in hand. "If you need any more help, text me, okay?" Natasha asks you as your eyes return to her. "Okay." You smile at the redhead while Wanda feels like she's about to throw up. "And maybe we can hang out tomorrow night? My place?" Natasha asks like the double meaning isn't obvious.

Wanda misses it, but your eyes fall on her figure briefly before you agree. "Sure. Tomorrow." Natasha smiles like she just won the lottery. "Okay. Bye!" Wanda turns back just in time for Natasha's lips to land on your cheek. "Nat, go!" You laugh as the older woman rolls her eyes and sneaks by you and your roommate.

"Bye, Wanda."

Wanda doesn't respond, leaving an awkward tension in the air that Natasha quickly evacuates—leaving just you and her.

"Wanda, I meant to tell you about- no, wait, I'm sorry yo-you wanted to say something earlier. You said well, actually.." Wanda fakes a laugh, tricking you. "Yeah, you're right. I just don't remember what I was going to say. Jeez, I just don't know where my mind is tonight.." Wanda swallows the lump in her throat. Sure that she'll crumble if she keeps talking to you. "Oh." You say. "Do you need help with anything? Studying, or do you want to chill? We can watch those shows you love if you want." Wanda appreciates the thoughts, but all she wants to do is be left alone.

"No thanks. I- I uh, I think I need to rest." Wanda waves you off and heads to her room. Closing the door and locking it. Like yours, her door was never closed.

Once inside, Wanda throws the hoodie off of her as if it burns her body and collapses on her bed. Shoving her face into her pillow, muffling the heartbreaking noise that escapes her throat. Hot tears streaming down her face. All for you. All because of you.

You.

You who didn't know when it happened, but one day, you started looking at Wanda a little bit differently.

Tonight, you planned on doing something about it.

Until Natasha Romanoff stopped you in the library.