I'm Free Tonight (Female Reader X Carol Danvers)

MCU Compliant (Female Reader X Carol Danvers)
Summary: A lovely stranger saves you from a boring Christmas Gala.
Word Count: 2.8K
Content Warnings: None ❤️

"You alone?"

You looked up from your seat at the round table and saw the blue eyes of a blonde you'd never seen before.

She wore a beautiful maroon and blue dress with a gold chest piece. Your dress looked silly in comparison, no matter how much your girlfr- ex girlfriend(?) paid for it.

And she wasn't cheap.

An heiress, some would call her.

Others used the word bitch.

You tore your eyes away from the blonde and gestured to a woman at the bar. Clearly drunk and openly flirting with one of the groomsmen. "Supposed to be with her."

The blonde looked where you pointed, and the curiosity on her face turned into one of disappointment.

Followed by a smirk.

"Well, I'm Carol. Carol Danvers." The blon- Carol switched her champagne flute from her right to her left hand. She extended the right to you when you looked up to her.

"Y/N. Y/N Y/L/N." You shook her hand and were surprised to feel a tight grip. You quickly realized how strong Carol was as you checked out the definition and muscles on her arms. "May I?" Carol pointed to the seat to the left of you. "Go ahead." You said with a smile that Carol reciprocated.

Carol also chose this seat so you'd be facing away from the bitch that left you alone.

You turned away from the bar and towards Carol. "How do you know the couple hosting?" Carol asked. "I don't. My date does."

That made sense. Since Carol noticed you hours earlier, she couldn't figure out how you wound up at a place like this. Surrounded by people whose hands were never clean. Politicians and models. Wall Street bros and CEO's. You stuck out—a ray of innocence and good radiated from you. Kind hearted.

Carol knew it to be true when she saw how awful your date treated you.

"Ah," Carol said as she lifted the glass and took a sip of the golden bubbles. "I hope you don't mind me asking... Who is she? Your date?" Carol set her glass down and looked at you in the eyes. "Oh, her name is-"

"Oh no, I'm sorry." Carol stopped you as she reached a hand out to your arm. "I meant, who is she to you."

It felt like a trick question, like Carol knew the truth.

Carol kept her fingers resting on your arm while waiting for your eyes to meet hers. "She's..."

You sighed.

Carol patted your arm. "Think about it." She removed her touch from you, and you missed her warm fingers.

You watched as they wrapped around the glass of champagne. "If it makes you feel better, I'm not supposed to be here," Carol spoke up with a shrug.

"You're not?" Carol watched your forehead crease when you didn't believe her. "No. I'm here doing a favor for a friend." You looked around the room, and like Carol did with you earlier, you couldn't believe someone like her could be here. "What friend?" You asked, making Carol smile.

"The King of Asgard, Valkyrie." She said casually without hesitation.

"Oh!" You said, surprised and bewildered. "I still have yet to visit New Asgard.." You really have been meaning to, but it's not like money grows on trees for you. "I hear it's lovely."