Because Of You: Someone New (Natasha Romanoff X Maria Hill)

Part Three of my Because Of You Series
No Powers MCU AU (BlackHill)
Summary: Yelena tries and fails to help her sister get over you.
Word Count: 3.7K

Natasha Romanoff knew exactly when it happened.

She saw it in your face and your eyes. And then she saw the look on Wanda Maximoff. Your longtime friend and college roommate. She saw the sadness she was hiding.

That's the moment she figured out that you were in love with someone else.

Of course, the timing had to be the day that Natasha and you were set to get married, but she loved you too much. So she let you go. She told you to leave and to go after Wanda. You loved her but not enough to stay.

That was a year, three months, and twelve days ago. Not that she was counting. Plus, she hasn't seen or heard from you since then, so it's not like she should still be thinking of you.

But Natasha was. She had food days and weeks where you didn't exist to her. She was living her best life. But then she had bad days. Days where you crept into Natasha's mind.

She hated herself for it.

So now she was laid up in bed after calling out of work after stumbling across a friend of a friend's Instagram post. One thing led to another, and she ended up crying at half-past 10:30 in the morning. Unable to hear the knocking on her apartment door.

The person Natasha forgot was coming into town took it upon themselves to let themselves in.

"Sestra?" The voice called out with a bag thrown across her arm and a leash attached to a dog named Fanny in the other hand. The voice coming from the blonde figure known as Natasha's sister looked down at her dog with a sad smile before unclipping the dog from its leash and shooing it onto Natasha's leather couch.

Yelena Belova knew Natasha hated that dog on her couch, but that was a losing battle every time Fanny was over.

"Sestra?" Yelena tried again and louder, but she got nothing in return but the muffled sound of the TV playing Great British Bake Off coming from the bedroom. So that's where Yelena started walking to. She made her footsteps louder than expected, and yet Natasha didn't hear it. Too focused on the thoughts in her mind and doing her best to keep her tired eyes on whatever Paul Hollywood was saying, she couldn't be bothered to listen to Yelena and her stomping feet.

"Natasha..." Yelena quietly said as she pushed open the redhead's bedroom door. Once she poked her head inside, she saw a sight she had become familiar with since you left. Yelena internally sighed before stepping into the room. "Hi," Yelena spoke once Natasha's eyes looked away from the TV.

"What are you doing here?" Natasha asked with her throat a little rough. Natasha truly had forgotten that she invited Yelena and her dog to stay weeks ago.

"Is everything alright?" Natasha asked as she slowly got up to greet her sister, who accepted a hug like nothing was wrong. "Everything is good," Yelena said with a smile, choosing not to comment on Natasha's appearance at the moment as they both sat on the bed.

Yelena quickly scanned the room and saw how much cleaning needed to be done.

"So what's- oh!" Natasha finally caught up as she look at her sister. "I totally forgot that was this weekend!" Natasha put her head in her hands and felt awful for forgetting. "It's alright," Yelena said as she wrapped an arm around her sister. "I mean, it's not every day I come to New York for business."

"But still-" Natasha went to argue, but the blonde stopped her. "What's wrong?" Yelena asked, catching Natasha off guard. Natasha opened and closed her mouth. She was going to lie, but she didn't see the point. Yelena knew the real reason, regardless, so she pulled Natasha close and hugged her before getting up and walking to the bedroom door. "Have you eaten?"