Chapter 8: Cassidy

We're in the thick of happy hour when the door swings open and a shiver runs down my spine. I know it's him.

Hayden Vaughn.

How the hell I know that, I'm not sure. We've only met a few times and I know almost nothing about him, but my body reacts to his presence like he's a magnet and I'm a piece of metal.

He walks in like he owns the place, his eyes locked on me like he wants to devour me whole. And fuck if it doesn't make me want to let him. He's wearing a tight t-shirt that shows off his toned muscles and a pair of jeans that hug his thighs in a way that makes me want to go for a ride. He's fucking hot as hell, and I don't know if I'm happy or pissed that he's here right now.

Probably both.

He slides onto a stool at the end of the bar, giving me a smirk that makes my heart race and my panties wet. Ugh, he's the kind of hot that makes me do stupid things.

But he's also a total dick.

I walk over to him, ignoring the fluttering in my stomach as I ask, "What can I get you?"

He leans closer to me, breathing in my scent before saying, "You smell good."

I roll my eyes. "That's not creepy at all." Inside, my stomach is doing backflips and my nipples are harder than diamonds.

He laughs and the sound is rich and deep, making me want to lean even closer to him. "I'm just saying, you smell nice. It's not creepy."

"Whatever," I say, trying to act like I don't care. "What do you want?"

He looks me up and down like he's sizing me up for something. "Go out with me tonight."

I scoff and gesture around my packed bar. "In case you haven't noticed, I'm working."

He glances at Lila. "Can't she handle it?"

"By herself? It's too busy."

Lila takes that opportunity to speak from right behind me, nearly making me jump out of my damn skin. "Actually, I've handled worse. Remember when you had food poisoning last year and had to hold a bucket while you---"

I slap a hand over her mouth widening my eyes with a shut the hell up in front of the hottest guy on planet earth look that I hope she interprets right. She nods and I let my hand drop back to my side as Hayden laughs.

"So, what do you say?" he asks me, his eyes sparkling with amusement. "Give me a chance to show you I don't just play dirty on the ice."

"You're not my type," I say, even as every cell in my body screams yes. I'm clinging to whatever excuse I can find not to get any close to this man because I suspect if I do, I'll never be the same when he's done with me.

His gaze flicks to Roman, who's managed to sneak back in here with the crowd and is currently sitting at a table with his teammates giving me a glare that could strip paint off the wall, before returning to me. "I think I am your type."

"I'm not going to fuck you," I blurt out. I'm such a liar, and based on the dirty smirk he gives me, we both know it.

He leans closer to me until his lips are brushing against my ear and whispers, "We'll see about that, princess." He pulls back and winks at me before sliding off his stool and walking away without another word, expecting me to follow.

And as I watch him go, I realize that I'm in so much trouble.

Because Hayden Vaughn is exactly my type.

And if he keeps looking at me like that, I'm going to give in and let him have me any way he wants me.

"Well? What are you waiting for?" Lila whispers, shoving me in the back. "If you don't follow him, I'm going to."