Chapter 15 - Cassidy

I've done a few things in the last twelve hours I'm not proud of. One, I walked out of my bar when I should've stood my ground. And two, I'm waking up sprawled out across Hayden's naked body because he slept over... again.

What the hell is wrong with me?

I move slowly so I don't wake up Hayden, and because I can, I take a second to watch him sleep. He's so fucking gorgeous it's ridiculous. His dark hair is mussed from sleep and his full lips are slightly parted. I can't help but remember how they felt on mine last night or how good they felt between my thighs.

Shit.

I slide off the bed and grab his t-shirt off the floor, pulling it on before walking into my tiny kitchen. If I pull it up and take a sniff of his scent, well... we're not gonna talk about that.

I need coffee and a plan because I have no idea what to do about Cosette.

My sister.

The thought makes me want to vomit.

I start the coffee and lean against the counter, staring out the window as the sun rises over Seattle. The city that I love is suddenly feeling like it's closing in on me and I don't know what to do about it.

I've spent years feeling guilty about the night my family was taken from me, about how it was all my fault. I know a therapist would tell me that I've put my parents up on pedestals that if they were alive they'd never live up to. But to find out my dad cheated on my mom? And had a fucking child behind all of our backs?

Ugh.

Hayden comes up behind me and wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me back against his chest. His lips brush my ear as he whispers, "Morning."

I shiver and lean back into him, letting him take some of my weight. It's so easy to forget who he is when he's not being an asshole or trying to fuck me senseless. But that's all he's good for. I absolutely, one hundred percent cannot get attached.

"Morning," I say, trying to keep my voice light.

He turns me around and leans down to kiss me, but I push him away and grab two mugs from the cupboard, pouring us each a cup of coffee. He sighs and takes the mug I offer him, leaning against the counter across from me.

"So, what's the plan?" he asks, taking a sip of his coffee and watching me like he knows exactly what's going on in my head.

I lift a shoulder and let it drop as he eats me alive with his eyes. I shiver but try to ignore the way he sets my body on fire. "I have work to do." I turn to glance at the clock. "There's a game tonight, right? Don't you have a morning skate or something?"

Okay, yes, I'm trying to get him out of my apartment. I don't understand why I keep letting him in when I know it's only going to end up with me crying into a pint of huckleberry ice cream and wanting to kick my own ass for ignoring my rule about hockey players. But, here I am. The guy's hot and persuasive as hell.

Also, I need him out of here. I'm starting to get a flood of subscribers to my OnlyFans and they're getting impatient for new content. A twinge of guilt twists in my stomach, another thing I'm choosing to ignore. Hayden isn't my boyfriend. I don't owe him anything, and especially not this truth.

I'm not doing anything wrong.

I'm not.

Hayden nods and takes another sip of his coffee before setting the mug on the counter and stalking toward me like a predator. "I have practice." He stops in front of me and grabs my hips, pulling me against him. "But I'm not leaving you alone where that bitch could pop up any second to fuck with you."

I push him away, ignoring the way he smirks at me like he knows exactly what I'm doing. I swear the more I push him away, the more determined he gets. "I'll be fine. I don't know if you noticed, but I've handled my life pretty damn well before you showed up. Besides," I press a little closer because I can't help myself and his hands immediately find my hips again, "I doubt Cosette will show up today. She made her point last night."

He shakes his head and leans down to kiss me, his lips soft and coaxing. Fuck, it's hard to resist him when he's not being an asshole for once. "She didn't make her point. She wants to take your bar and she won't stop until she gets it." He pulls back and brushes his thumb across my cheek. "I won't let that happen."

I bite my lip and nod, knowing he means it. But I can't depend on him. Look at what happened when I leaned on Roman. Now he's holding the debt over my head and I'm having to sell my body to pay him back and get him out of my life for good.

After he banged some slutty groupie right in front of my face.

Life's really fucking unfair sometimes.

Hayden leans in for another kiss but I step away from him. "Time for you to go."

He grins at me and grabs his mug off the counter, draining it before setting it down and walking toward the bedroom to grab his clothes. "Fine, but don't think for a second we're done here." He winks at me as he pulls his shirt over his head. "I'll be back after we win tonight."

"Seriously?"

He nods and walks toward me, and I back up until I hit the wall. He pushes his chest into mine, kissing the shit out of me one last time before stepping back and walking to the door. "We go on the road tomorrow so I need to get as much Cassidy time in as I can before we leave."

I shove him toward the door. "Get out of here."

He grins at me as he steps into the hallway and turns around, pointing at me. "See you later, Princess."

I flip him off and slam the door in his face, leaning against it for a long moment before pushing off and walking back into my apartment. That sinking feeling in my stomach at the thought of Hayden going on a road trip? Yeah, I'm not going to examine that.

I have no idea how I'm going to handle Hayden or Cosette or Roman or any of this fucking bullshit, but I know one thing for sure: I'm not giving up without a fight.

A/N:

If you want to read more of this story before it publishes here, you can get early access over on my Patreon: patreon.com/heatherashleywrites (clickable link's in my bio)