Prologue

---

I walked through the hospital doors for what was soon to be the last time, not knowing to expect.

For months I let one person consume my happiness only for the worst to happen. Now it's only a matter of when the worst will happen.

I reached the room where my dying girlfriend was being kept for the past month. We always knew she was gonna get like this but she still managed to put a smile on my face every time I seen her.

"Hey baby, how are you feeling?" I give her a soft smile, sitting in the chair next to the hospital bed.

"Cold. Very cold," She says with a light chuckle.

"Dude, where's your blanket? That's why you're cold," I stand up to look for it, "You know it's cold here."

She holds up a hand and grabs my wrist gently causing me to turn my attention back to her. Once she realized she has my attention, she whispers, "Sit back down my love."

"You're gonna get sick," I mumble under my breath. She gives me a bright smile.

"I'm already sick, it's too late for that," She shakes her head, rolling her eyes playfully.

"I can still get you a blanket—," I go to stand up once more but she grabs me again. I sigh before sitting down again.

"It's not gonna help Billie," a small tear escapes one of her bright brown eyes.

"Why are you crying?" The worst thoughts possible entered my head all at once, "You're scaring me."

"No reason to be scared, you've known this was gonna happen for a while Bil," Her smile still manages to make my heart flutter in serious times like this.

"It's time isn't it?" I asked sadly, immediately figuring out what she was trying to tell me. Even though I knew this day would come, I never expected it to be so soon.

"Go get my mom please," She smiles weakly as the color drains from her face slowly.

"I'll be right back baby," I say, rushing out the room to find her mother down the hall talking to the doctor.

I inform both of them of what was happening, watching as they both rush to my girlfriend's room in a panic, me following after them.

When we arrive back to her room, she was left more pale than before, lips now turning a dark color of purple.

"As we all can tell by now, this is the part where we need to let this person rest from her long fight and say our goodbyes," The doctor starts off, turning to face my girlfriend, "It's been nice knowing you dear, I wish you the best wherever you go next."

My girlfriend gives the doctor a smile and a weak thumbs up before watching as he walks out of the room.

I start walk up to my girlfriend next before her mom stops me with a light tug of my hand, "I want you to say it last. I know how much you mean to her and vice versa."

"You're her mother though," I shake my head in disbelief.

"I've had her my whole life, you've been with her for less than a year. I know what's gonna hurt more," She softly smiles, approaching her daughter.

I watched for the next two minutes as my girlfriend and her mother give a heartfelt goodbye hug, tears only leaving her mother's face as my girlfriend continues to smile bright and wide.

"Stop giving me that fucking smile," Her mother laughs out through her heavy tears.

"I can't help it ma, I'm just glad you guys are the last ones I see before I—," She starts to say weakly as her mother cuts her off before she could say it.

"Talk to your girlfriend," She softly smiles, "I love you so much sweetie."

"I love you more mom," She whispers out once again as she watches her mother leave.

She then lets out a relieved sigh, turning her head towards me.

"Why do you look like you're at peace with this?" Tears now flow heavy down my face.

"Again, just glad to have you two here," She turns to look out the window to her left, "After I lost him, the world got smaller and I'm so grateful for both you and my mother being there for me when no one else would."

"I would make time stop for you if I could love," I held her face lightly as the tears began to spread so much that I couldn't even wipe them at this point.

"Stop crying so much my love. We'll meet again someday later in the future," She looks back up at me, her beautiful smile never leaving her face.

"Yeah, and when will that happen?" I attempt to wipe my tears with her assistance.

She takes my hands in hers, "Not for a very long time I hope."

"I can't do this without you," I continue to let my tears flow, bringing my dying girlfriend closer to me.

Gently kissing my cheek she whispers in my ear, "Promise me something?"

I immediately sit up with an eager nod, trying to prepare myself for what she had to say.

"Take care of my mom for me and most importantly take care of yourself. I'll always be with you no matter what happens in the next minute," She says. Her last statement catching me off guard.

"This can't be the end," I shake my head in disbelief.

"I'm afraid it might be my love."

---

A/N: Hope you guys like this book so far. Keep in mind, this is a short story. Part one will be out soon :)