Part Eight

---

"Baby, wake up," I wake up to the feeling of someone shaking me gently, "Come on Bil, we got school."

"I'm not going," I roll over and shut my eyes once again but open them as soon as I felt her poke me, "Go back to sleep, you can skip with me."

"Why don't you wanna go?" Her eyebrows furrow as she lays her head next to mine.

"I just have a bad feeling about today," I shrug. It seemed to be enough of an answer for her because I didn't hear her voice for another three hours.

"Now you gotta get up for real," She whispers in my ear causing me to look at her and sit up.

"You don't know what sleeping in is, do you?" I walk away from her and into the bathroom to do my morning routine, "What are we doing today?"

"You wanted to stay home, not me," She crosses her arms. I put my toothbrush down before walking over to her.

"You rather be at school than here with me?" I hug her, wrapping my arms around her waist and kissing her lips.

"No, but seriously, you wanted this so you get to choose what we do," She sticks her tongue out and goes to turn on the shower.

"Help is always appreciated you know? I can't decide by myself," I watch as she strips down to her underwear.

"Just think about it," She steps into the shower, closing the curtain behind her, "Let me know when you got it."

I roll my eyes and step out of the bathroom, deciding to go downstairs and cook breakfast for the both of us. I know Nova isn't vegan but she's getting adjusted to the type of food me and my family eats. Plus, she always told me she wanted to try it out.

Just as I'm getting all the ingredients ready, I heard a loud noise upstairs which was followed by what sounded like a scream.

"Nova?" I shout to my girlfriend upstairs, wondering if she's okay. Getting no answer in response, I decide to go and check. Maybe she just couldn't hear me.

"Babe, you okay?" I call out one more time as I get halfway up the stairs. Assuming something was wrong, I finally ran the rest of the way upstairs and into the bathroom in my room.

---

"Is she okay?" Claudia and Finneas look at me with sad eyes as we're in the hospital waiting room for the second time this month. They had just arrived, I was already here from the ambulance ride.

"They would barely tell me anything. All I know is things are getting worse," My eyes never moving from the floor.

Shortly after, the rest of my family and Nova's mother arrive. By this point, no one has any emotion on their face as we're preparing ourselves to hear devastating news.

The nurse finally calls and as much as Nova's mother wanted me to come with her, I physically couldn't find the energy to see her in whatever condition she was in.

---

I walked through the hospital doors for what was soon to be the last time, not knowing to expect.

For months I let one person consume my happiness, only for the worst to happen. Now it's only a matter of when the worst will happen.

I reached the room where my dying girlfriend was being kept for the past month. She still managed to put a smile on my face every time I seen her.