Part Six

---

"If you ever wanna talk about what happened, you can come to any one of us," Finneas reaches across the table and softly takes her hand in his, "We got you, kid."

"Thanks man, I really appreciate i—" She cuts herself off and instantly reaches for her chest.

I grab her thigh to calm her down, "Baby, you okay?" I whisper to her as I watch her face contort in pain.

It was only moments later when I noticed the color in face change, "Finneas, call 911!" I managed to say just before Nova collapses on the table.

"Fuck! Don't do this to me Nova," I go to check her pulse to see she's still there. I sigh out in relief once I realize she's okay and hold her until the ambulance arrives.

Within thirty minutes we were in a hospital waiting room, anxiously waiting to hear how Nova was doing.

We called her mom right after calling the paramedics. To say she was distraught was an understatement. Everyone could hear and feel exactly how she was feeling.

When she got here, she moved past everyone and sat next to us, not saying a word the whole time. We didn't take her silence in any kind of way considering she just lost one of her kids and now the other one isn't doing so well.

"Family of Nova Davis," A nurse calls out and immediately Ms. Davis rushes over to her.

Knowing we can't go with her, we watch as they exchange words. They start to move towards Nova's room but stop abruptly.

Ms. Davis says something to the nurse which causes the nurse to nod and they turn back towards us. Ms. Davis waves me over.

I quickly get out of my seat and practically run over to them.

It felt like forever as we rode the elevator all the way to the floor she was on. Her mother debriefed (and yes, I just learned that word) me on how Nova was.

Turns out her heart condition got worse. Doctors told her that Nova only a few months left to live. They don't know when but they know it could be at any time.

We walk in silence to Nova's room, preparing for the worst. As we approach, Ms. Davis looks at me to open the door. I look at my feet, slowly shaking my head at her request.

She sighs, understanding that this is hard for me as well as her so she makes the move to open it first, her hands shaking softly.

"Mom?" I hear my beautiful girlfriend whisper out to her mother, "You brought my favorite girl too."

It's crazy how someone like her could make you wanna blush after something scary happened like tonight.

"How are you feeling?" I reach up to gently play in her curls. She melts at my touch.

"Like I got hit by a semi-truck," She lightly chuckles and reaches out for her mom, "You alright, mom?

"I should be asking you that," her mom sits down on the other side next to her bed, "You scared the hell out of your girlfriend here though."

"Yeah you're right," She turns back to me with a smile, "I'm sorry I scared you, girlfriend."

"It's cool, just glad you're still with us," I give her a wide smile, taking her hand in mine.

---

We spent the rest of Christmas night all the way up until New Year's in the hospital by Nova's side as she recovered.

When we got to school, there was almost an uproar of people asking Nova what happened. She made it clear that she just had a simple accident. Of course no one believe her though.

"Is she okay?" Finneas asks as we walk side by side through the school hallway.

"Yeah, she's still adjusting to the news. She knows she doesn't have that long so her smile's been brighter than ever. It's crazy how she does it," I sigh.

"Good thing she knows though. Must be tough to lose your sibling and then receive devastating news about your heart," He sympathizes.

"I wish I could give my heart to her. She really doesn't deserve this," I shake my head with a tear streaming down my face. He notices and quickly wipes it, giving me a tight hug in the process.

"She's gonna get one, we just gotta wait for the right moment," He looks over his shoulder when someone calls his name, "Gotta go, that's Claudia. Tell Nova I said hey."

I watch as he disappears down the hallway as I continue to walk, bumping into someone next.

"Oh shit, I'm so sor—" I cut myself off once I see who it is, "I can never seem to get away from you can I?"

"My bad, I was focused on something else," He seems different now, "How's your girlfriend?"

"You heard what happened?" He nods his head, "She's alright, just adjusting to life. I'm actually trying to find her right now."

"Mind if I help?" He looks at me with hope as I stare at him in confusion, "I'm not gonna be weird, I just wanted to talk to you."

"What is there to talk about Brandon?" I raise one of my eyebrows.

"We were friends before shit hit the fan. I'm sorry I ruined that," He sincerely apologizes.

I slowly nod my head in a lost for words. Deciding not to say anything more, I simply just waved for him to come with me.

It wasn't long before we spotted my girlfriend talking to one of the football players. She noticed me and smiled before looking behind me with a frown.

"Why the fuck is he following you?" She whispers to me.

"He just wanted to talk. He apologized for everything that happened," I shrug my shoulders.

"Yeah, that's code word for 'let's get back together and fuck' Billie," She deadpans.

"Baby, you know you trust me, I wouldn't do anything to mess that up," I reach out to put her hand in mine, "I barely even said anything the whole time, I just let him talk."

"I'm not worried about what you would do. It's all about what he would do," She stares at him deeply, her focus fixated on his every move as the football player and Brandon started to talk.

I grab her face so that she would look at me, "Fuck him, I know what I want," I give her a small peck on the lips, "Let's go to class, okay?"

She nods her head as I say bye to the guys and we walk away, hand in hand.

---