Part Two

---

"There's seriously a party tonight?" Nova asks me. I nod my head knowing I told her three times already on the walk to my house. She offered so I took it since Finneas was busy. Luckily I don't live too far from the school.

"Never expected that for Highland Park to be honest," She shakes her head in disbelief, "Are the parties here lame?"

"Surprisingly they're not but my ex is hosting it so no promises," I mentally slap myself in the face for that last statement.

"Oh she's got an ex? I don't do exes pretty well," She jokes, nudging me a little.

"I was forced to go tonight so I don't really have a choice," I catch her clench her jaw for a slight second before relaxing her face, "It would be great if you came though."

She looks at me, that bright smile reappearing on her face, "You're okay with that?"

"I invited you Nova, of course I am. Might even help distract me," I shrug.

"I'm just a distraction now?" She stops in her tracks with a raised eyebrow.

"You know what I meant asshole," I slap her arm as she chuckles.

Shortly after, we arrive at my front door as we look at each other in an awkward silence.

"I really hope to see you at the party tonight," Nova smiles sweetly. 'Does this girl ever not smile?' I thought to myself but shrugged it off since I thought it was cute.

"Please be safe getting home," I look into her pretty brown eyes.

"I don't live too far from you, I'll be okay," She grins, turning to leave.

---

"I swear Jah, you better keep me away from him," I softly punch the older boy in the chest.

"I'll stay with you the whole night Bil," He looks up into the crowd and smirks, "Unless you found someone else to."

"What the fuck are you talking ab—Holy shit she actually came," I excitedly wave her to the area we were at.

"And who might this be?" Jah says looking her up and down as she stands there anxiously.

"Nova, nice to meet you man," She daps him up. He sends a nod of approval my way.

"You hurt her, I kill you," Jahseh gives a devilish smile.

"Trust me, you don't have to worry about that," She looks down at me, "She's safe with me."

"Nah, I trust you. My bad brother," He says, catching the look in her eye. They dap each other up one more time before he goes to leave us alone.

"You drink?" She turns to ask to which I shake my head, "Guess we're staying sober tonight."

"It's okay if you want to. I just personally don't believe it's a good idea," I say lightly.

"Why's that?" She watches as I point to someone further in the crowd, "That's the ex?"

"Sadly it is," I shake my head at the poor decisions I made in the past.

"You definitely deserve better," I look up to see sort of a sparkle in Nova's eyes.

"Stop trying to flirt with me," I let out an amused giggle, "I can't do relationships."

"That'll change soon," She mumbles, looking away as I also pretend not to hear.

Sure she's extremely attractive but I'm also not trying to get my feelings hurt once again. Plus, it's barely been a day since I met her, I still don't really know her.

"What's the backstory behind drinking and your ex-boyfriend?" She asks genuinely.

"It's just he loved to drive drunk and would often call me while he did it," I shake my head rid of the awful memories.

"Not all people get like that you know?" She reassures me.

"Yeah, I know. I just don't believe you need to use substances to have a good time," I simply shrug.

"Well, since you told me that, I can tell you one of my 'secrets'," My eyes widen at the fact she's about to open up to a stranger, "I have a heart condition."

"Is it the serious type," She hesitates for a slight second before shaking her head 'no'.

"It's not too serious. Just causes me to faint every once in a while," She reassures me once again.

---

"I really enjoyed tonight," I said to Nova as we stood outside my house for the second time that evening. There's really something about this person and I can't seem to stay away from her. I think she feels it too.

"Me too. I really appreciate you inviting me out," She says as she takes one of my hands in her hand.

We both start to lean in, our lips centimeters apart before I decide to pull away, "I would but I can't at the moment."

"I understand," She smirks, "It's only gonna be temporary though."

"Go away," I gently push her away from me as she grabs my arm for balance, causing me to get closer to her than before.

"Probably should go before you end up trying to kiss me," She jokes, starting to walk away.

"You tried to kiss me first asshole!"

---

A/N: The more I read this back, the more I realize I could do better on this book. Guess we'll save that for another book lol.