Chapter Four

(Some chapters have more than others, some have none. I did these completely random. Please don't complain about updates, I did over 40 chapters)

Nik watched closely as Freya and Kai started cleaning Peter's skin. The two knew she was watching and they didn't say anything. Finn had been seated next to Nik to keep her relatively calm, noticing his sister was a mix between pissed, excited, and anxious. Pissed because of what had been done to the Hale pack and the actions of Laura Hale. Excited because she's feeling her wolf more and found her mate. Anxious because said mate is hurt. Nik had already thoroughly cleaned herself off, already being careful when trying to get wolfsbane off Peter's skin first. From Finn, Kol, and Nik's knowledge, wolfsbane irritates or weakens Type B wolves and Nik didn't want to accidentally harm Malia and Cora. Nik herself experiences irritation from wolfsbane now, another reason why she's watching. She knew her type of wolf would be harmed by wolfsbane like vervain does to vampires.

"You should start wolfsbane shots," Finn suggested.

Peter tenses at the statement, "Your mate is a different kind of werewolf, we found someone who's the same type and he explained he built up a wolfsbane tolerance like some vampires build up a vervain one," Freya explained calmly when she noticed the tensing.

"He heard what Finn said and tensed," Kai informed the brother and sister.

********

Cora was exploring her new toys the Mikaelsons had gotten her while Malia started snoozing in the blankets Lucy put around her. "Is the story of the doppelganger really true?" Derek asked Lucy, the two had started talking. Lucy was keeping calm, trying not to scare the werewolf teen off.

"Yeah, you may meet one at some point. The one that from the ritual, Katherine Pierce, accepted a deal by Aunt Nikki. Aunt Nikki had killed Katherine's family out of anger, but she had also found out how Katherine's father treated her after having a baby out of wedlock. Aunt Nikki being a bastard child—well she understood and she was angry again. This time, she tracked down Katherine and confronted her with Uncle Kol and Dad and had explained she did have a way to bring Katherine back if she had been the doppelganger in the ritual. Then explained that since she ran, and Katherine's family was killed, that if Katherine tracked her own line and found the next doppelganger, she would be free," Lucy said, "Kat felt bad about not letting Aunt Nikki explain the ritual because Elijah kept moving her away and so she did it willingly. She's watching this chick Isobel who's pregnant right now."

"Wow," was all Derek said.

"Wow, indeed. No matter what Aunt Nik is getting her curse broken this time," Lucy said and Derek nods. He couldn't stand having his wolf blocked. He wouldn't be surprised if Nik had decided she wasn't going to mess around when the time came.

*******

Peter started grunting as they rubbed his skin more. The wolfsbane was still coming off and pissing Nik off more with how much wolfsbane was in his skin. They also found mountain ash embedded there and they suspected that was why the pack had trouble escaping. Nik had sent that information to Noah who was going to put in a file for the hunter if she was ever caught. There were hunters that worked with the supernatural if they were peaceful. Those hunters wouldn't dare kill a whole family. The Mikaelsons knew of a type of vampire that was rather vicious and they assume it was some witch trying to copy what made the Originals. Those vampires, those are the ones that should be hunted. Noah had connections to the hunters that hunted supernatural problems and had them keep an eye out for Kate Argent and listed what she had done and added that some of the pack were married in humans or born human and not wolf.

"Nik, this is going to take a while," Kol said, "Why don't you get some sleep? You're stressed and now you have a toddler to look after."

"But—"

"Ma, we'll get everything we can off, but he needs to heal on his own and I'm sure he won't be happy if his mate is stressing and refusing to sleep or even feed," Marcel said, looking pointedly at the glass of blood Nik hadn't touched. The resounding growl coming from Peter's direction confirmed Marcel's theory.

"Okay. Okay," Nik says, taking the glass and downing it in one go before making her way up there and noticing Kol following. "Why are you following?" she asked.

"To make sure my dear older sister goes to bed," Kol answered, pointing in the direction of Nik's room. When his sister pointed to the direction of the children, Kol spoke up again, "I will go check on them, go to bed," he said. Nik stood there and gave her little brother a look. Kol sighed, "I will tell Derek and Cora you said goodnight," he adds and does an internal dance of victory when Nik entered her room, closing the door behind her.

*******

Kol watched the door for a little bit. All the rooms were soundproof to an extent because none of the siblings wanted to hear another siblings doing their business. He then turned to walk away, finding the room with the children. Derek and Lucy were having a conversation making Kol smile a bit. He knew the two were mates, everyone heard what Lucy had said, but Kol was happy Derek was making an effort to know her and not have what happened to him stop him from getting to know his mate.

"How's D-Uncle Peter?" Cora asked, noticing the second youngest Original entering. Lucy turned to face her uncle while Derek realized Cora almost called Peter 'Dad'. While Peter wasn't a whole lot older than Derek, he was the fatherly presence to Derek and Cora.

"We're getting as much mountain ash and wolfsbane off as we can, we're almost done, it's just up for him to heal," Kol explained. Cora nods, returning to her toy with a yawn.

"There was mountain ash?" Derek asked.

"Uncle moved it before it was ignited, he was trying to get others out. I don't think that happened," Cora mumbled the last part. Kol recalled a slight haunted look in the older wolf's eyes when he drifted off in his thoughts. Maybe they should consider calling Damon and Enzo?

"Anyway, it's time for you all to head to sleep. We know some of you are going to have nightmares, but I at least want you all to go to your rooms," Kol said.

"What about M-Nik, where is she?" Cora said, rubbing her eyes.

"She's been sent to bed by our brother and sister, she wanted me to tell you wishes you all a goodnight. Cora and Derek, if you have nightmares and don't want to go back to sleep, there are activities for you to do. We wouldn't mind you coming to one our rooms, but we think it's best if Peter is left alone," Kol said and the teen and toddler nod.

"You can come bug me if need be," Lucy said to Derek, knowing she was near him.

Kol gently picked up Malia and took her to her proper crib in her room, setting some soft music for her and leaving with a baby monitor. He knew Malia would wake up, he just hoped it wasn't from a nightmare. Cora was taken to her bed and tucked in by Derek, "Goodnight Der," Cora mumbled, snuggling into her new sheets with the new stuffed animal Nik bought her when they got some clothes for her and Malia before they found Derek.

"Goodnight Cora," Derek replies, hoping his sister didn't have any nightmares. Then he left for his own room.

*******

During the night, everyone went to bed. Freya had left a blanket and some clothes for Peter if he had decided to move. Cora had woken up from a nightmare and felt a hand rubbing her back, as she looks back to see who it was, she smiles, before curling back up and falling back asleep.

Derek managed to stay asleep, not noticing a door opening and someone checking on him. Malia giggled when she saw the same person, falling asleep soon after.

Nik's eyes open from her sleeping spot as the door opened. Someone walked around the bed. Nik smelt a familiar scent and wore a small smile on her face as the person laid down behind her, wrapping a hesitant arm around her waist. She looked down at the previously burnt hand and shifted a little, making herself comfortable. She felt him stiffen before relaxing. Peter Hale could finally relax.