Chapter Five

The next morning Nik wakes up to find herself on her back and Peter wrapped up around her, his head resting on her chest, taking in her scent with every breath. Derek and Cora snuck in and Nik looked at them as they slightly smiled. Derek was holding an awake Malia whose eyes lit up spotting her uncle. Derek motioned for the two small girls to be quiet as they came closer to the bed.

"Morning, M-Nik," Cora whispered.

"Morning little pup," Nik greeted quietly, but it was enough to still wake up Peter. His wolf still being present, his wolf's blue eyes greeting them in response. Derek's own blue eyes showed and so did Cora and Malia's gold. (I know Malia is supposed to have blue, but she hadn't killed anyone so they're gold)

"Hello Peter," Nik said, feeling his movement. Peter kind of froze, just now realizing he was lying on the chest of the most dangerous person in the world who was apparently his mate who apparently saved him from the hunter adding wolfsbane and mountain ash to his skin.

"Hi," he mumbled, his throat still scratchy, but to his nephew's surprise, Peter was shy.

"WHERE IS MALIA?!" Kai scream was heard from the still open door. Peter let out a startled growl which resulted in Nik wrapping her arms around his neck and just holding him, knowing the wolf was likely touch starved from how Derek's quick explanation about what the left-hand of the pack is supposed to do. Cora had even added that Peter had to end the lives of people still burning in the house while trying to get Cora and Malia out. Cora added later that the night she was rescued that Peter had to kill his brother, who had been shot through the window. Cora, being the smart three year old she was, covered Malia's eyes before she could even remember their teary and pained father figure/uncle kill a burning, bleeding, Ethan Hale, Malia's father.

Malia blows a raspberry and Kai speeds in, "Ah! There you are," he says cheerfully and Malia giggles.

"Idiot," Finn scolds, "Peter moved last night, you could set him off shouting his niece's name," he says walking into the room.

"He moved?!" Kai responded.

"Kai, we moved him upstairs and you didn't see the empty seat and abandoned blanket and pillow?" Kol asked slowly.

"Noooooo, but where is he?"

"Kai," Derek spoke making the Heretic look back at him and the young werewolf pointed to the bed.

"He found his mate," Kai gushed and tried to move closer, but Peter growled loudly and coughed at the end of it but still glared as Kai moved back. "Okay, possessive got it," Kai responds and moves back to the kids, "how was your sleep?"

"Nightmares," Derek and Cora say.

"No," Malia responds, shaking her head with a slightly upset look, telling the others she also had bad dreams.

"Oh, so you can do something besides blowing raspberries?" Kai said, and got a raspberry in response.

"Is it nightmares about the fire?" Nik asked in concern and the two werewolves nod and she feels Peter tensing. She runs her fingers through his hair and looks at Kol, "Could you call Damon and Enzo? I think they could help some," she says.

"What about Marcel and Derek?" Kol asked quickly so the wolves and coyote didn't catch it. Nik gave a nod and Marcel strolled in, "Brother bonding over women who can go to hell!" he beamed. Derek let a startled snort at the older man, "Talia should join that," Peter mumbles, hoping the other two werewolves didn't hear, however, he heard Derek say, "So should Laura."

"Derek," Nik spoke, "Marcel has gone through something similar to you, I figured it would be best for you to talk," she said.

Derek turned to Marcel with a raised eyebrow, "I was a slave rescued by Ma and then her younger sister was the only other woman to show me kindness and she decided to compel the perfect husband out of me...you can figure out where I'm going with that," Marcel said and Derek nodded. The werewolf handed off Malia to Kol as Kai was cowering away from a still glaring Peter. "Who are the other two?" Derek asked before they left.

"Damon and Enzo are a couple who were part of vampire experimentation and tortured and friends of theirs died of starvation which causes desiccation or some were stabbed with wood to see if they could be killed somewhere else, some were beheaded. Just a lot of traumatic stuff including a virus that allows any vampire to become like a vampire called a Ripper which makes it harder for them to control bloodlust and the behead their victims. It would be good for you and Peter and maybe Cora to talk to them," Nik explained. Derek nodded and left with Marcel to have their separate talk and Kol left to call Damon and Enzo.

Kai worked up his courage and grabbed Malia off the ground. The baby had been glaring at the Heretic for leaving her on the floor. Finn took Cora, seeing Peter needed a moment to actually get off of Nik. As much as Finn wanted to free his sister of the weight of Peter, he knew Nik would probably snap his neck in response, so he smartly decided against it.

"Do you have Poptarts?" Cora could be heard asking.

"We love Poptarts, of course we do. Have you had toaster Streudel?" Finn asked.

"No, what's that?" was the last thing Nik heard before she felt Peter's head tilt up.

"Can you say Ripper?" he asked in amazement.

Nik let out a laugh make making Peter's heart flutter as he listened to the sound, "Rippah," she says and Peter smiles in amusement. "Didn't think you'd be interested in accents?"

"I like yours," Peter said with a sly smirk before coughing and moving away.

Nik leaned up and kissed him on the forehead, "You are adorable and need to clear more smoke from your lungs," she said with a smile before getting up and changing, not caring if a blushing, frozen Peter was currently staring at her body. Hey, she's confident in her body and Peter is her soulmate, she doesn't care if he looks at what he'll get to touch soon.