Chapter 9 - Charlie

Ch9 - Charlie

Charlie reached his arms high above his head, enjoying the way his muscles felt as they stretched as far as their limits would allow. The tension that tightened his neck and shoulders slowly released and he silently reminded himself to stop by the pharmacy to pick up his sleeping pills, hating the thought of going another night without them. He'd dropped the prescription off the day before, but they hadn't been ready for pick up before they'd closed for the evening, which meant his sleep would be marred by the nightmares he'd been plagued with for the past three years. He hated depending on the tiny white pills, but if he wanted to escape the images that waited for him in his dreams he knew he'd need to take one every single night before bed.

The early morning sun sliced through the curtains, allowing rays of sunlight to enter the room. The sheer material gently swayed as a light breeze blew in through the window, causing a myriad of patterns to dance across the bedroom walls. It was supposed to be a beautiful day. Sunny, breezy and not quite as humid as it had been. How nice it would be to drop everything and take Talia and Carter to the park for a picnic, but his agenda was full for the day, that much he knew. So much still needed to be done at the house next door before the renter arrived from Louisiana.

But first things first. He turned onto his hip, swiveling his lean body toward Talia's side of the bed only to find her spot empty. He ran his hand over the cool material of the sheet as his lips turned up into a slow smile. No doubt Carter had already summoned her for the day.

His eyes moved toward the clock that sat on the bedside table and discovered it was only going on 6 am. Carter's waking habits were getting to be ridiculous. He knew he shouldn't have let his mother rock her to sleep on the porch the previous afternoon, but what could he do? He loved watching the two of them together and the last thing he wanted to do was deprive them of spending time with one another. Carter could learn a lot from her silly, eccentric grandmother and he had every intention of making sure his daughter grew up with the loving woman by her side, experiencing the quick wit and wisdom she had to offer. The strong bond that was forming between the two of them now would last a lifetime, and far be it from to withhold their cuddle time - even if that meant his daughter would be rising earlier than normal the following day. Just a small price to pay in the name of love.

Sitting up in bed, Charlie swung his long legs over the side, resting his bare feet on the plush carpet below. With his elbows resting on his thighs, he bent his head, holding it between his hands, and closed his tired eyes. He needed a quick moment to himself before he began his day. The last thing he wanted to do was worry his wife with his persistent insomnia. She'd been so concerned about his mental health, encouraging him to find a doctor to talk to and get things off his chest, but he knew there was no need for that. He was handling things just fine - better than fine, really. The only time the images of Steven consumed his thoughts was at night when he was trying to sleep...and every time he set foot in that house next door . . . or even glanced in its direction.

Okay, maybe he wasn't handling things as well as he could be, but that didn't mean he needed to see a doctor. Eventually, as more time passed by, he would get over the fact that he had killed another man. Besides, it's not as if he'd done it in cold blood. He'd shot that monster in order to save Talia's life. Charlie couldn't stand the thought of what would have happened if he'd arrived even a moment later that night. Would she still be alive? Or would Steven have sucked the life from her with his bare hands?

Charlie shook his head, chasing away the ugly thoughts. He couldn't think that way . . . he wouldn't. Talia was alive and well, and that's all that mattered. Plus they were married now, starting a new life and family together. Every single time he looked into their baby girl's eyes he felt his heart swell with a love he never knew he was capable of. And he had Talia to thank for that. He stood up from the bed, slipping on faded jeans and pulling a soft, black t-shirt over his head. Running hands through wavy, brown hair, Charlie went through his morning routine before making his way toward the living room. His approach was quiet, not wanting to disturb the interaction taking place before him. He leaned silently against the door frame, his eyes taking in the sight of his wife, cradling their sleeping daughter in her arms. They swayed back and forth on the wooden rocker he'd made for Talia when she was pregnant with Carter, and listened as she hummed a soft lullaby. In a million years, he would never understand what he'd done to deserve those two girls in his life.