Chapter 11 - Conrad

Chapter 11 - Conrad 

"What the hell is this?" Conrad demanded, his voice thick with disbelief.

The two boys turned quickly, their jovial smiles fading once they realized they'd been caught. Steven discreetly dropped the cigarette behind his back, covering it up with the heel of his shoe—a gesture that did not go unnoticed by his father.

A look of disgust eased its way across Conrad's face. "You think I don't know what you boys are up to? You think I was born yesterday?" He clicked his tongue in distaste and continued to stare waiting for a response, but neither boy offered one. "Where did you get the cigarettes?" he asked, fixing his dark gaze on Steven.

Steven's eyes dropped to the ground and his shoulders sagged in defeat. "I found two packs in the garage," he answered quietly, his shaky voice barely audible.

"You found them in the garage?" Conrad repeated slowly. "And are they yours?"

Steven swallowed hard and shook his head. "No, sir," he whispered.

"I'm sorry, what was that?"

"I said...no, sir."

"Listen here, boy! Why don't you act like a man and look at me when I talk to you?"

Slowly, Steven lifted his head, his frightened eyes meeting his fathers. "I said, no, sir."

"Well, then. Whose are they?"

Steven began to fidget underneath his father's harsh glare. "They're yours."

Conrad's brows knotted together. "Yes, they are, aren't they?" He held out his hand. "Hand them over."

Steven reached inside the pockets of his hoodie, pulling out two packs of cigarettes. He handed over one full pack and another with only a half a smoke left inside.

Conrad stared at his son for a moment, the muscle in his jaw beginning to twitch. "Jacob," he said finally, turning toward the frightened twelve-year-old. "I think it's time for you to go home. If I catch you smoking my cigarettes again I'm calling your parents."

Jacob nodded nervously, his eyes darting toward his friend.

"Don't you worry about Steven," Conrad continued, catching the shared look between the boys. "I'll make sure he doesn't influence you in this way again."

Jacob hesitated a moment before finally running off, leaving Steven alone with his father.

Conrad watched the young boy race across the yard, his jaw clenching in irritation. "So, you and your friend stole my cigarettes and then hid behind the garage to smoke them and you thought I wouldn't notice? What kind of fool do you think I am?"

Steven's eyes widened. "I don't think you're a fool," he said quickly, shaking his head in protest. "I just... We—"

"You just what?" Conrad shouted, causing a nearby dog to bark in response. He rocked back on his heels. "You wanted to see what it was like? You wanted to act like a man?"

Steven shrugged his shoulders slightly and looked up at his father through long eyelashes. "I guess so."

"And do you think real men steal?"

He opened his mouth and then closed it again, shaking his head instead.

"How about this?" Conrad began, his voice changing tone. "What do you say we smoke together?"