Chapter 40 - Jackson

Ch.40 - Jackson

"How's your mother today?"

Startled, Charlie and Talia turned to face Jackson. They'd been deep in conversation on the front steps of their porch and hadn't heard him approach. Carter let out a wild wail and Charlie bounced her lightly on his hip to settle her.

"Jackson," Charlie began. Exhaustion lined his face and he shook his head slowly. "No change, I'm afraid. She's still unconscious and not able to breathe on her own."

Jackson hid a smile. He didn't want Enid to wake up. If she woke up, she might remember the hesitation he'd faced as he stood over her body, debating his next move. Even in her faltering state, the woman had watched him closely with her blue hawk eyes, never missing a thing. It was as though she understood his dilemma, like she could somehow see into his thoughts and knew what he wanted to do. Enid was better off unconscious, or better yet...dead. Having her out of the way would certainly make his job easier. She was a complication he didn't need.

"I'm sorry to hear that," he finally said.

Charlie inhaled sharply and turned to Carter, hiding his face in her blond curls.

Were those tears in Charlie's eyes? What the hell kind of man was he? Grow a pair, you little pussy. This is life... Did your mama make you that weak? Tell you it's okay to show your feelings and cry like a little girl? And Talia just feeds right into that fragile ego of yours, doesn't she? Ha! You two deserve each other.

"The doctor convinced Charlie to take the afternoon off. He's been at he hospital nonstop," Talia added, interrupting his thoughts. She placed a slender hand on Charlie's arm and gave him a squeeze. "She said he would be useless to Enid if he didn't take some time to relax. We were actually just talking about taking the air boat out for awhile. Would you like to join us?"

Jackson's eyebrows arched in consideration. "That would be great, I was just looking up Everglade boat tours this morning. I need to take some pictures for my first article and the deadline's quickly approaching. Are you sure you wouldn't mind me tagging along?"

Charlie nodded and looked back at him, his eyes still shiny with tears. "We'd love to have you along. And this way you won't have to wait on other passengers. If you see a picture you'd like, you can take your time getting it. The boat tours wouldn't be able to do that for you." Charlie attempted a smile but it looked empty, like he was just going through the motions. "They run on a schedule."

"Well then, it's settled." Jackson smiled. "This works out great, thanks for the invitation. If you don't mind waiting a minute I'll just grab my camera bag. It'll only take a second."

"We'll meet you by the water," Charlie suggested. He handed the baby to Talia as Jackson headed toward the house.

Jackson wasn't crazy about the idea of going out on the flimsy little boat, but it was a hell of a lot better then sitting alone in that damn house. With each passing day he grew more and more uncomfortable. Every house had a story, some darker than others, and this house told the story of death. His son's death. The air inside was particularly heavy, especially at night when he was lying in bed. He hadn't had a decent night's sleep since he'd left Seattle, and he found that Steven was consuming more of his thoughts these days. It was starting to unravel him. Every waking moment spent between those four walls tormented him, slowly picking away. Feigning interest in the mosquito-ridden swamp was just something he'd have to deal with.

That lard ass detective he'd hired back in Washington, with the mustard stain on his tie and over-sized gut, had come through. He'd uncovered the nitty-gritty specifics of Steven's final hours and relayed them back in horrifying detail. What Steven had gone through... What that bitch Talia had done... The toxicology report proved Steven had been under the influence at the time of his death, but his son never touched alcohol. Ever. Talia must have driven him to drink, among other things. Then she pinned it all on him.

If it weren't for that bitch, none of this would have happened.

His son would still be alive, and maybe they would be together right now. They hadn't been very happy before, but that had been Elizabeth's fault. If she hadn't turned Steven into such a mama's boy maybe he would have had a chance for a real relationship with his son. His only child. The male who was supposed to carry on the good Austin name. They could have started over, just he and his boy. Maybe Steven would have even come to work for him in that big building downtown. Maybe he would have taught his son the ropes with the intention of handing over the reigns one day. But now he'd never get that chance. Talia had robbed him of it. A slow burn began to move through his chest as he imagined Talia standing there, gazing lovingly at Charlie with that noisy little brat in her arms.

Jackson climbed the back steps and opened the door to the house, and a sudden sick feeling punched him in the stomach. He blinked his eyes rapidly. Why was it he never felt alone in this house? It always seemed like someone was with him, even when there wasn't. He breathed in and out, concentrating. What was it he had he come inside for? He furrowed his brow.

"The camera," Jackson said out loud. He reached for the black leather case on top of the kitchen counter then pulled the strap over his head and across his chest.

Blood pooled in his cheeks as the beginning of a plan began to take shape in his mind. Sliding the zipper across its track, he removed the extra battery pack from the bag and slipped it inside a drawer. The muscle in his jaw flexed and he released he'd been grinding his teeth.

The sudden urge to finish Talia off caused his heart to hammer inside of him and he took in several deep breaths to help calm his nerves. But this time he needed more than a deep breaths.

Jackson crossed the kitchen to the dated oak cabinet against the wall. He opened the door and retrieved a half-empty bottle of vodka. Pulling a short glass from the cupboard, he poured the clear liquid until it nearly reached the rim. He lifted the glass to his lips and swallowed down the entire contents in three gulps. A trail of warmth slid down his throat and pooled in the pit of his stomach. Setting the empty glass on the counter, he focused his eyes on a tiny crack in the tile. Had Steven seen that same chip? Had Talia put it there when she'd broken that beer bottle to use as a weapon, right before she wedged it into Steven's eye? Suddenly, Jackson balled his fist and slammed it into the imperfection.

"Damn it!" he shouted. He ran a hand through his hair. "Why the fuck did you have to follow her here? She wasn't worth your time."

With shaking hands, Jackson reached for the bottle of vodka and drank straight from the rim, refusing to stop until it was empty. He held the vial in front of his eyes and allowed his gaze to follow the words on the label, noticing with amusement they were beginning to blur. Despite his sour mood, Jackson let out a laugh. He gripped the neck of the bottle in his hand then smashed it against the wall, watching as shards of glass spewed across the room.

He needed to get a grip, he had a job to do. And now he knew exactly what needed to be done.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Hello and thank you for reading Secrets and Lies! If you enjoyed this chapter please leave a vote.

Uh oh, Jackson has a plan. That can't be good. Tune in this weekend for the next chapter!

Just wanted to thank those of you who stopped by my Wattpad Block Party post! It's an excerpt from the next book I'll be working on called Of the Blood, a YA horror! Head on over and check it out and don't forget to sign up for my Barnes & Noble giveaway! I'll add the clickable link in the comments below. If you have any trouble, please let me know. :)