Chapter 26 - Jackson

Ch.26 - Jackson

"Be careful out there," Talia said as Charlie picked up a second rifle.

He turned back and blew her a kiss while Jackson bit back a sarcastic response. The way the two of them went on around one another was enough to make him sick. All the kissing, hugging and meaningful looks he'd witnessed at the cookout... Charlie was under Talia's thumb in the worst kind of way, which he found utterly pathetic. He didn't understand how any man could be so weak toward a woman. Women were meant to serve men, not the other way around. How would precious Talia cope if Charlie were gone? Who would take care of her and that baby girl then?

Don't you worry, Charlie, Jackson smirked to himself. I'll take care of your wife and child once you're not around. It will be my pleasure.

All that bullshit about being nervous to fire a gun--ha! He's had plenty of experience handling firearms, firearms way bigger than what Charlie had in his collection. He'd like to see Charlie pursuit lions in Zimbabwe, or maybe elephants in South Africa--now that was a hunt! Wild boar? A sport for amateurs. What a joke. Just like the silly little town they called home.

Jackson followed Charlie to the corner of the garage and paused while he rummaged through the rest of his gear. It was ridiculous how gullible the man was. How he always wore that stupid smile on his face. He'd be doing the world a favor when he got rid of him. Now he just needed to bide his time. Soon enough he would have his opportunity. Truth be told, he was finding it difficult to keep himself from punching Charlie right in his dopey face. Just a good ol' boy with good ol' manners... Except when it came to killing his son. Where had all his southern hospitality been then? The idiot had no business being alive, none of them did.

Now I just have to figure out a way past this dog...

The yellow beast had been eyeing him suspiciously ever since he arrived. Every time he glanced at the stupid thing it bared its razor-sharp teeth.

 Every time he glanced at the stupid thing it bared its razor-sharp teeth

"I don't think your dog likes me, Charlie."

Charlie turned around, his eyebrows crinkled in obvious confusion. "I'm really sorry, Jackson. Winston's normally so good. I don't know what's gotten into him." He glanced up at Talia still standing in the door. "I'm going to leave Winston behind today. I think it'll be best."

She nodded as she brushed blonde curls away from the baby's face.

Charlie added a few more things to a bag. "Now remember, stay near me at all times," he said, fixing his brown eyes on him. "I want you in my line of sight, especially when we're ready to shoot. I don't want there to be any accidents."

Jackson nodded. "Of course, Charlie. You're the boss."

"When was the last time you said you went hunting?"

Jackson eyebrows arched. "I don't think I did." He thought quick. There was no way he was admitting it'd only been a couple of years. The vast open plains to the wooded savanna of the Kalahari, that's where he'd taken his last safari...and a memorable one it had been. He'd been exposed to more species of mammals than he'd ever seen before, even though it'd mostly been medium size game. They were quicker and more agile than larger varieties--more of a challenge. Although nothing compared to the lion's head that decorated the wall of his parlor back home. One of his most prized possessions. "Gosh, Charlie. Probably twenty years, if not more. It's been a very long time since I last held a gun this size." He could barely keep the mockery out of his voice.