Chapter 15 - Conrad

Ch. 15 - Conrad

The first thing Conrad noticed when he parked his Jaguar in the front drive was the large depression indenting the rear corner of his son's new vehicle; the Hummer he received a mere three weeks before on his sixteenth birthday. The same Hummer Steven swore up and down he would guard with his life.

He killed the engine and removed himself from the driver's seat, keeping his eyes on the cavity embedded in the bumper of the shiny red sport's utility truck. Slowly, he walked toward it, annoyance flaring in his veins.

It was a beautiful evening in Washington. The gentle breeze moved through the majestic pine trees, playing with the strands of his hair, but Conrad didn't take notice. He was focused on the atrocity in front of him.

Conrad stared at the indentation for several moments, unable to believe his eyes. When Elizabeth had suggested they buy Steven a car for his birthday, he hadn't thought it was a good idea. The last thing the boy needed was an expensive toy like that. But eventually he had relented - against his better judgement - and now look what had happened. He'd been right all along. Steven couldn't be counted on to take care of such a gift, the fool could barely keep his room clean, for Christ's sake! And why should he? When his mother took care of everything for him, of course he wouldn't see the need.

Conrad shook his head, disgust settling in his stomach like a plague. He walked through the front door, his rage building with every step. Marching through the expensively decorated rooms, his hearing focused on the distant voices in the kitchen, the casual way they interacted with one another as if nothing had happened.

When he approached the doorway, the site of Elizabeth and Steven collaborating filled his vision. They were standing there, smiling at one another, discussing Steven's upcoming weekend plans with his friends. And something about the way they spoke to each other just seemed so... intimate. Conrad's upper lip curled in distaste. There was something almost unnatural about their relationship, it was painfully obvious at times. It wasn't right the way she indulged him, even now as a teenager - especially now. It was if she didn't understand boundaries. And Steven, being the imbecile he was, never cared to stop her. He just allowed her to hover, allowed her to come to his rescue time and time again, allowed her to turn him into the world's biggest pussy. There was something very wrong with the two of them, an unhealthy codependency. And what was worse - they both seemed to enjoy it. They thrived on it, as if they needed it to sustain themselves.

The sound of their laughter cut through his thoughts, and he cleared his throat.

Elizabeth looked over at him, startled. "Conrad. I didn't hear you come in."

He glared at her, his cobalt eyes steady. "No, you wouldn't have, would you?"

Nervously, she tucked a strand of dark, blonde hair behind her ear as her eyes darted uncomfortably toward Steven. "We were just talking about Steven's plans for the weekend. The guys want to hike to the waterfall at Mt. Teneriffe​. I thought it sounded like a lovely idea. Steven could fit several of his friends inside the truck. Don't you think-"

"I don't think Steven will be going anywhere this weekend."

Elizabeth's face fell. Conrad's eyes shifted toward the boy, noting the way he coward beneath his gaze. "So, when were you planning on telling me?"

A smattering of pink covered Steve's cheeks and he shifted nervously from foot to foot. "I'm - I'm not sure what you mean," he stammered.

"The hell you don't know what I mean!" Conrad shouted, unable to stay calm any longer. "What the fuck happened to the Hummer? You've had it for three weeks and there's already a damn dent in the rear bumper. What happened to taking care if it, like you promised? Huh? What happened to 'guarding it with your life'? What the hell kind of moron are you?"