Chapter 12 - Enid

Chapter 12 - Enid

It was mornings like this that made Enid Wilson want to scream, trapped in the helplessness of the restless energy surrounding her. She'd always been sensitive to the emotions and physical pains of others, sometimes feeling them as intensely as she felt her own. And there were times when those sensations were downright overwhelming, much like they were today.

As she sat rocking in the armchair on her front porch, she looked off into the hazy, morning sunlight and noticed the horizon seemed especially far off. There was something in the air that didn't feel right, the kind of day that had her thinking about Armageddon. She could never quite put her finger on the impressions she received, all she knew was that something nearby was amiss, somehow skewed from what it would normally be. If she wasn't careful, she could easily fall victim to the mounting anxiety and get sucked into the black hole of the unknowing—that's how powerful her empathy could be. Often times, the feelings of sadness and melancholy came out of nowhere, attempting to drag her down into a river of despair.

But that's not the emotion she was picking up on today. No, it wasn't acute sadness that pricked at her skin. It was . . . anger. Deep-rooted, malignant, desperate anger. Enid didn't understand the mechanics of her abilities, or why, in fact, she had them to begin with. All she knew was that they were somehow passed on, inherited from several generations of women before her. She remembered years ago when she was just a young girl, watching her grandmother give a reading to the distraught neighbor next door. Afterward, she'd questioned her about what had taken place, but all Grams would say was that she'd had a "sixth sense", or "women's intuition" as she preferred to call it, like many female relatives before her. And that gift allowed her to feel other's pain, it allowed her to sense things most people could not. But those feelings didn't sound like gifts, not to Enid's inexperienced ears, anyway. They sounded like a curse, or perhaps a sickness, one that had no cure.

When she first started recognizing the talents within herself, she'd tried to ignore them, smothering them until they disappeared like the flame of a candle. But the harder she resisted the more they persevered, until finally she gave in and allowed the feelings to cultivate.

In the beginning, Enid was easily overwhelmed by the flood of information she received, especially since she was only a child. But over time, and with her grandmother's loving guidance, she learned to find a comfortable balance. She incorporated meditation into her life, something she still practiced to this day. Enid had never been interested in developing her abilities further, she was content letting them be, not wanting to stir up unrest like they had in the beginning.

Enid rocked in her chair as an unusual chill made it's way around the curves of her body, and she wrapped her arms tightly to her, protecting herself from the unseasonable cold. It was times like this she wished her grandmother was still around, to help her make sense of the shock of emotions. She'd lost her mother at such a young age, and Grams had stepped in, assisting her father with the raising of three young girls. She missed confiding in the spunky, older woman, especially at times when she felt this unsettled.

Oh, Grams. What I would give for the opportunity to mull this over with you. You were always so much better than me at figuring things out. I suppose, in time, the situation will make itself clear, I just need to learn patience. But it's so difficult! Self-control has never been one of my strong suits, especially when it comes to matters of emotions.

Stumbling upon this confusing, angry sensation before she'd even had her first cup of coffee was not exactly how Enid preferred to start out her day. It was a good thing she was a morning person. Her biological clock had always dictated when she awoke, and typically she rose with the first rays of the sun. It was the one time during the day when everything felt at peace and she could take her time thinking about things at a slow, steady pace. Once the bed and breakfast guests woke up, her day would be filled with tending to their needs, making meals and entertaining them in a way that made her business unique. Vacationers came from far and wide to sample the southern hospitality she provided, while enjoying a little slice of the marshy, Florida Everglades.

Enid jumped as something sharp pricked along her skin again, leaving a smattering of goosebumps up and down her flesh. An unexpected wave of anger washed over her, but strangely it was not her anger. No, this anger belonged to someone else. When she was a child, it was difficult to distinguish which emotions were hers and which ones belonged to others. And this feeling was definitely not her own. This belonged to someone sinister and unpredictable. Someone who intended to harm others. Someone who seemed almost familiar somehow . . . The last time she'd felt like this way was when—

No, don't you dare go there, Enid Wilson! I will not have you drudging up nightmares from the past. You're being foolish—you old goat! We have all moved on, and things are good now. Very good, indeed. There's no need to dwell on that time in our lives. Charlie and Talia, they're alive and safe. And that sweet, baby girl . . .

Her breath caught as her thoughts shifted to her granddaughter. Such a blessed little bundle of joy, and a surprise to them all, that was for certain. Charlie and Talia had not intended on expanding their small family so quickly. They'd been hoping for time to heal from their wounds. But the good Lord had other plans for them. He'd known exactly what they needed to soothe over their pain, what they needed to become whole again.

Yawning, Enid stretched her arms above her head as she made a mental checklist for the day. She would be on her own, Charlie and Talia would be busy putting the finishing touches on the house next door before the renter showed up. Where did they say he was from again? Oh, yes, Louisiana. Such a fine state, known for its cuisine and culture, festivals and carnivals. She's been there once, on her honeymoon with Charlie's father, but that had been many, many moons ago. A lifetime, it seemed.

I'll give Charlie a call soon, just to make sure everything is okay. Then I can put this craziness aside and concentrate on things I need to get done. After all, idle hand's are the devil's workshop, and I simply do not have time to play.

Enid stood up from her rocker and enjoyed one more stretch before going into the house, taking a cautious look over her shoulder before shutting the door tightly.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

This chapter is dedicate to XxSwiftyBakerxX, the winner of my Wattpad Block Party giveaway! Hillary won a dedication in Secrets and Lies as well as a crystal encrusted strawberry charm necklace! Congratulations and thank you, Hillary!

This week, I'd like to give a shout out to readers in the Bahamas, Finland, Ireland and Korea! Thank you so much for reading Secrets and Lies! Now that the deadline for Strawberry Wine has passed, I plan to update this Friday. Hopefully I'll get to the point where I can update it twice a week like I did for The Secret. If you enjoyed this chapter, please remember to vote. THANK YOU!