Chapter 3 - Bumpy Ride

Nicole

I sat in the back seat between Chris and Chantel looking through my phone. He didn't text me back yet. Gavin can be such a pain in the ass when he doesn't get his way. I made the mistake of telling him about going to Cody's dad's cottage and he freaked. I reread our text messages,

What do you mean you're going to his cottage?? Gavin texted.

"It's for 2 weeks. His dad invited us. I responded.

So. You're not friends with them anymore. Remember. They will only hold you back from your dreams.

I cringe when I read this part. Gavin doesn't understand my friends. We dated for three years and he was new in town and never bothered to get to know them. 

This is our last summer together. I'm going!! I texted him.

And in September when you're in your new school, you make new friends and be done with them. Remember I'm helping you get a better future and if I'm going into politics we can't have people like them be associated with us.

I turned off my phone and closed my eyes.

"Hey, you OK?" I heard Chris whisper to me.

I turn my head and smile at Chris, "Yeah. Just tired." I lied.

Chris shuffles around a bite, " Do you want to lay your head on my shoulder?"

I tighten my smile. And then there's Chris.

His almond shaped eyes smiled at me. His lean, athletic body next to mine. His black straight hair, styled up and to the side. I know he loves me but I can't love him. Mom and Dad won't approve. Chris is Chinese and that doesn't work in their plan for my life. Gavin works for their plans. But Gavin is deceiving and puts on a fake show in front of my parents. Chris makes them smile, and is genuine when he is around my parents. I just wish mom and dad can see both of them for who they really are.

"Thanks Chris, but I'm going to stay awake for now, I won't sleep tonight." I answered looking down at my phone.

"Hey yeah, where are we sleeping tonight.?" Chantel asked.

"Wow guys it's morning and you're already talking about sleeping." Cody groaned.

"A little planning doesn't hurt, Cody." I say.

Cody looks at me. I see him glance at Chris, then back to me, "And sometimes it's ok to explore outside our comfort zones too Nicole." I give Cody a fake smile, "But I did plan some of this trip." Cody continues, "We should be in a small town outside the mountain range by dinner. We can stay a night at the motel. Then in the morning we head into the mountains. It should be about 2-3 days in the mountains."

"2-3 days!?!" Chantel repeats in shock, "Where are we going to sleep in there?"

"Tents. Einstein!" Cody answered sarcastically.

"The fuck I'm sleeping in a tent!" Chantel said in protest.

"Come on Chantel. We use to camp in my backyard all the time as kids."  Rico adds.

"Yeah Telly, or did social media fame make you forget already about your childhood?" Cody coldly says.

"Don't call me that name!" Chantel yells.

She never liked the name Telly. The boys started to call her that name when she use to tattle on them every time they did something they weren't allowed to do.