Chapter 16 - Reality Bites

Nicole

I look at the tent ceiling as I open my eyes. In some ways i secretly wish this was all a bad dream and I'll wake up in my bedroom. I turn to look at Chantel who's still snoring in peace. Lucky her. She seems to have managed to adjust to this trip now. I guess taking her phone away ended up being the smartest move Cody has ever made.

I make my way out of the tent slowly, not to wake up Chantel. I really want to be alone right now. This trip is straining me. Physically, mentally and emotionally, and I don't think we are going to make it. I wipe my watery eyes, as I slowly unzip the zipper and crawl out. I look around in horror.

"What the hell happened here?" I involuntarily said out loud.

The beer cans were left out, I think Cody's bag is shredded to pieces. Our clothes that were hanging on the tree branches were down and the logs we used as seats were moved around.

"A bear." I whisper to myself.

I see movement in the boys tent and the zipper opening. It was Rico crawling out.

He stretches and smiles at me before i see his expression change as he looks around, " What the fuck? Did we do this?" He asks.

I roll my eyes remembering that he too had gummies and beer last night, " NO dummy. It looks like a bear did. Look at Cody's backpack." I point where it lies in shreds.

"Oh fuck. That's not good."

"This whole fucken trip is no good, " I said , picking up the litter, " If the animals don't kill Cody by the end of this trip, I will."

Rico walks towards a tree stomp, "I'll help you." he says as he plops himself on it.

I sit on another stomp near Rico, " Ricardo, what made us think we could do this? Why did we let him convince us that we could do this?"

"Because he's our bestest friend. We trust him to have our backs every time," Rico looks at me, "and he never fails us. Trust him Nicole. Don't give up on him yet."

"Hum, What's out here that we can't do at home, other than gold...if there's any."

Rico turns to me, "Well,  I think life is out here."

"What?"

"Here me out. If we were back home, we would be distracted by our parents, jobs, phones, media, other relationships, shit that keeps us from being really together. Out here, there's no distraction. Just us. We have had fights, laughs, and for me, a new outlook on life."

I look at Rico. He's gone all philosophical on me, "What did you learn on this trip that you couldn't have learned back home?" 

Rico looks down, seeming to hesitate, "Like how I really feel about some of you guys." he says quietly.

I sit straight, "And how DO you feel about SOME of us now?" I question in defense.

Rico smiles at me, " Chris is right. I never noticed, but when you get upset, a dimple appears on your chin."

I rub my chin, "No it doesn't." I say defensively, "Someone would have pointed that out to me a long time ago."

" Really Nicole? Who? Your parents who are planning your life. They don't see you!."

"Rico..." I interrupt.

" Gavin?" Rico continues, " He's your so-called boyfriend and if he was really in love with you and cared for you, he WOULD have noticed, because I just did now."

"That's not fair Rico. We have nothing else to do out here but stare at each other. You rub your crotch everytime Chantel smiles at you."

Rico sits back glaring at me, "Yes. And I told you why and I would not have realized it back home. Chantel is living life without her social obsession and Chris is learning to grow some balls to talk to you."