Chapter 13 - Hard Heads

Cody

"Hey, wake up. Cody. Wake up. We got to go."

I heard a voice, emplify in my ears, "Yeah ma, give me five more minutes." I said, whining.

"Get the fuck up, Cody!" The voice sternly demands.

"Who the fuck is waking me up from my slumber?'' I shout, realizing it's not my mom.

"Cody, it's after ten. We slept in."

"No, we didn't sleep in. Cody stupid idea of bring gummies, knocked us out!" I heard Chantel's voice shout from afar.

"You know Chantel, instead of bitching first thing in the morning, you should have woken me up with kisses all over my body." I said with a smile.

There was no response, " Hum, nothing to say now, hey sunshine?" I say outloud.

"Okay jackass, let's try not to fight today." Rico says to me and throws my sweater on my face.

I try to roll over, my bones are stiff. Sleeping on the cold ground doesn't help my situation at all. It's shity that the car broke down. Rico claims all was fine with the car, but he must have missed something. We managed to bring a blanket each but it was enough. The ground is hard and cold at night.

"God, that was the worst sleep I ever had." Chris said.

"Well sleeping on the ground is never comfortable, but under the circumstances at least we had tents."

I lay down smiling, hearing Nicole's reasonable logic in this situation. This is where Chris needs to say something comforting to Nicole so she can see what a great guy Chris is.

Come on Chris... Say something nice to Nicole...

Nothing?! Nothing?!
The fucker didn't say anything. No wonder he can't get Nicole's attention. He's not letting her know that he's there for her, anytime. I have to give him some pointers.

"Cody. get up. Everything's almost packed." I hear Nicole shout at me. I smile thinking how these guys will go on in life. They're predictable right now. Pathetic really. Let's be honest. I love them all, but they are stuck in their lives. I want to help them get unstuck and live their lives to the fullest. That was the point of this trip. Of course I want to find the gold, but I want to spend as much time with my 'besties', away from their predictable pathetic lives and be free to be themselves. Who knows, maybe they will change or demand for change.

"Code-Man, are you really going to fucken lay there all day?!?" Chris yells.

"NO," I shouted, " I was hoping Chantel would come in with me. I wanted to show her something." I say, chuckling at my spontaneous response.

"RUDE!" I hear Chantel yell, "You're fucken rude Cody!"

I laugh, rolling onto my stomach, looking at my friends as they pack their belongings. God. I hope they stay best friends forever. I smile at this moment. How poetic, from a birds eye view, I'm hidden in the tent and only my friends can be seen together.

Chantel stops and looks at me, " IF YOU DON'T GET UP, WE'RE LEAVING YOUR SORRY ASS HERE!"

I smile at her. She's so beautiful when she's mad, "Hey Hon, " I call out to her," Can you make me a coffee?" I sarcastically ask.

She grunts, as she walks off.

"CODY!" Nicole shouts.

"Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. i'm getting the fuck up. God, guys, there's no alarm clocks out here.'' I remind them as I stumble out of the tent. I reach down into my bag for the gummies.