Chapter 4 - Shotgun

Chantel

Now it's my turn to sit in the front seat with Rico. I pull down the shade and look at myself in the mirror. I have to make sure I look good at all times. You never know if someone out here will recognize me. I apply my lipstick and check my mascara.

"God Chantel, why do you bother?" I heard Cody say from behind me.

I roll my eyes, " You have your needs and I have mine." I looked through the mirror at Cody. He was staring at me.

"God Cody, does everything bother you these days?" I said.

"No." He calmly replied to me. I can see his light blue eyes staring at me through the sun visor's mirror. His dirty blonde hair shaved. He shaved it bald about six months ago. Thank God it's growing back. He had longer curly hair that suits him much better. He is tall and lean but muscular since he runs and lifts weights with Rico. But his attitude is dangerous. He has had no fear, really, ever since he was a kid. Around the time his parents divorce. He challenges everyone, he sees through everyone. Teachers, his parents, us... ME. I couldn't be with someone like him. He would break me down and force me to be the real me. I like who I am. Everyone likes me this way. Miss Chantel. Pretty, confident, fashionista and shares makeup and hair ideas, tips and secrets. With over a million views a month and over half a million followers, why would I want to be anyone else?

"You know Chantel, you don't need to hide behind that stuff up here with us. We already know what your ugly face looks like." I heard Cody say, interrupting my thoughts. I put my lipstick away and closed the visor flap then stuck my middle finger up at Cody while looking out the front window of the Jeep.

"I'm bored!!" Cody announces.

Chris chuckles, "Ha Cody you were never one for road trips. Why the fuck did you come up with this idea?"  Chris says.

"For your information I love road trips. I'm just needing something to do. Nicole," I heard Cody say, "How's that boyfriend of yours doing? What's his name, Peter, Jackson, Jackass..."

"Gavin." Nicole said. I closed my eyes, regretting where this is going. Nicole's boyfriend is in a no-talk zone, because it always turns into a fight, "he's fine." I hear a defensive tone in Nicole's voice.

Fuck Cody what are you doing? I thought.

"I heard he's on vacation in Europe with his parents?" Cody continues on the topic.

Nicole is slow to answer, "Yes."

"Hey Cody, stop..." Chris intervenes.

Cody smirks, "I'm just checking in with Nicole's love life."

"Cody." Chris reacts.

Oh God this isn't going to go well. No one likes Gavin, but Chris loves Nicole and will defend her, even against his best friend.

"Christopher?" Cody says looking at Chris, "Now Nicole. Here's a fine young man who would love to be with you. Why don't you not give Chris a chance?"

"Shut up Cody!" Chris yells. Cody looks at Chris and poor Nicole sitting between them.

I quickly grab Rico's phone and put on music and turn the volume up enough to distract the conversation.

"Who rudely interrupted this wonderful conversation I was having with Nicole?" Cody asks.

My eyes pop open. Oh shit!

"I did. Bro," I heard Rico say, " Your conversation was full of shit. You all need a time out right now. So everyone shut the fuck up and let me drive the dame car in peace."