CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

At the start of writing this chapter, I was listening to a very ✨yellow✨ song.

THIRTY ONE

ZAYNAB

I couldn't believe this. Marching out of the hall and into the cold night air, I bit on my lower lip, desperately trying to hold back the tears that were threatening to spill.

To say I was humiliated didn't do justice to how I felt at that moment. I was hurt, angry, tired, and oh, how I hated that girl. She was the cause of all this. She just had to sit there, feigning innocence, and embarrass me to the bone. I was pretty sure she sat there with a sick smile on her face, happy that her plan had worked.

And the fact that Maina had yelled at me because of her did well to pour salt on my sores. I felt like tearing her apart with my bare hands.

Realizing I'd walked all the way to the empty soccer field, I screamed until my throat felt like it would rupture from the pressure. Slowly, I sank into the moist grass, finally allowing my tears to flow freely.

This was a failed plan, a mistake. All because of her.

There was nothing more special about her than me, so I really didn't understand what attracted him so much to her. For just a moment, I thought I was beginning to win him over, and then she had to be a bitch.

It had been one long hell of a day, but if anything, it made my resolve stronger. Not only did I want Maina all to myself, now I had made up my mind I was going to ruin that girl.

Wiping my face with the back of my palm, I got out my phone and headed straight to her Instagram page. I was going to look for her celebrity boyfriend and tell him how his so called "girlfriend" was here in camp, making a fool out of herself and throwing herself all over someone's husband.

But not with my account of course, I wasn't foolish.

Hence, as soon as I found his handle, I switched to my second login which was a troll account which seemed convincing enough. It had random photos and quite the following and activity to make it look legit enough, and not like some lame loser troll with zero followers.

Next, I inputted his handle into the search bar: '@jaredszn', and it came up pretty quick. I didn't bother to follow him, because I couldn't care less, then I hit the message icon and started composing the text when I heard footsteps muffled by the grass drawing close to me.

Startled, I turned off my phone and turned sharply towards the person whom I recognized as Chimdindu coming up towards me, his hands in his pockets.

"It's me, calm down." he spoke calmly, reached where I sat, then crouched to my level.

"Babygirl," he half smiled as I stared at him. I was pretty sure he knew I'd been crying because the evidence being smudged makeup was most likely obvious on my face under the ray of the LED security lights mounted all around the field. "Can we talk?"

I shrugged, then he held out his hand to me. "Let's find somewhere else to sit. The grass is wet, anything could be crawling in it right now."

I sighed defeatedly before taking his hand. He was right. Getting up with his support, I wiped the wet grass and sand off my thighs, then followed him to the nearby bleachers where we sat.

"Are you cold?" He asked. "Should we go in?"

I shook my head no, then looked at him wondering why he was here being so nice to me when he obviously supported her inside. Hissing, I folded my arms and turned away from him with a small pout.