CHAPTER THIRTY SIX

THIRTY SIX

MAIA

I walked faster, remembering the frown on Funke's face as I creeped into the classroom I'd seen Evan exit a couple of minutes before built the courage to actually walk in, having no idea what to expect. My heartbeat sped up as I stood there in front of the class, trying to form a coherent sentence as to why I was there, while she glared at me.

What's going on?

"Funke, I—" I'd called and got cut off almost immediately.

"Eh ehn abeg. What do you want? What are you looking for?" Her words came out in a rush before I could process it all. "You're here to pour salt inside the injury? Kindly get out of here please!" I flinched at the raise in her voice.

"And tell that your boyfriend that I've deleted the bloody video please! And I'm out of your lives! I don't have energy or a million dollars, it's only God that'll punish all of you. Oshi iranu." She'd said all that in a second, shoving right past me to leave the  class right after.

I was left with only one question: what the hell happened?

And I was on my way to find out from Evan himself whom I asked to meet me at the playground. I was pretty sure he was already there waiting for me, so I increased my pace. That was his favourite spot and he sure wasn't one to be tardy.

Unsurprisingly, he was seated on the slide when I got there. He flashed a smile at me as I walked closer to him, making me almost forget why I was here to swoon by his side.

I balled my hands into fists and summoned all the anger I could build up while my heart drummed against my ribcage. I'd never confronted Evan before and truthfully, I was scared. I had no idea how this would go, or what it would mean for the both of us.

I found myself rethinking what I was about to do as I reached him and when he pulled me into a hug. I smiled softly, breathing in his scent. It was different this time around, feminine even, although familiar. I was confused for a second, keeping my eyes trained on the collar of his jacket—which had a faint lipstick stain—when he pulled away and settled back on the slide.

"What's up Maia?" he asked, then pulled up his jacket sleeve to take a glance at his wristwatch. "I'll need to go get Larisa for lunch in a couple of minutes so you have to talk fast, babe."

'Babe.' I almost scoffed. Who did he think he was calling me babe after having God-knows-what to do with God-knows-which-girl who'd left the stain on his jacket. Did he even know there was a stain? And here he was talking about the same girl who'd become a real cause of nausea for me. Larisa.

The fear in me was quickly replaced with anger and hatred towards that stupid girl. Why did she have to be involved in everything? What made her so important? Who did she think she was?

I got even angrier at the fact that I was deliberately about to argue with Evan because of her, while the boy in question always acted as if he didn't know how anything that had to do with her triggered me. And he just had to ask Funke to delete the only thing we could've used to ruin that girl.

"I saw Funke before I came to meet you." I said, staring at him with a frown. I crossed my hands over my chest and shifted my weight to my left leg to stand in that typical African mother posture.

"Ahn, is that why you called me here?" he laughed. He actually had the nerve to laugh, then he looked at me standing in front of him amusedly. He looked at me like I was some sort of Disney Junior cartoon. It made my blood boil even more.