CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

FORTY-THREE

We would start a fight and run away
The only rules were the ones we made

SEBASTIAN

Shortly after Evan had left the court, I'd decided to hit the showers myself and show up for lunch afterward. Now, at the dining hall, there was no trace of the people I'd grown so accustomed to sitting with.

To top it all off, the clouds had darkened visibly, and roaring sounds of thunder warned of the heavy rainfall that was to come.

Really efficient, don't you think?

I walked with a sigh toward an empty table at the rear of the hall, hoping that if any of my friends aimed to sit together, they'd see me. Today's lunch was Yam and Goat Meat Peppersoup. The steaming content of the white China bowl spilled when I took a seat, and I used a serviette to dab at it.

Finally, Evan and I'd had the conversation that was arguably inevitable since the footballer came to Camp. That seemed like ages ago, now. To say I was pleased with the outcome of the conversation was an understatement. Funny enough, I also felt relieved that of all people, it was Evan who knew. The boy was smart enough to not raise the topic carelessly, considering he'd waited almost a week before admitting his knowledge.

I took a sip of the spicy soup, looking at the situation as an opportunity from God for me to have someone to open up to as a friend if I needed it. There was only so much comfort that therapy could bring one. It was different, sharing things with someone you actually considered a friend. Not someone whom you paid to listen to your problems and provide solutions.

Don't get me wrong, I was grateful for the therapy I'd received.

As I sat at the table, carefully chowing down on my food, I took my time observing the people around me. A light shower had begun outside; one I knew was just a warm-up for the rain to come.

I guess "August break" is over, then.

On the table in front of me, a girl and a boy sat directly opposite each other. It seemed they were on some lunch date, except, the girl looked totally uninterested. Her eyes were glued to her phone, while the boy kept talking. She glanced up and at him occasionally, taking an exasperated look around the room as well. It looked to me like she was searching for the nearest opportunity to escape whatever he was saying to her. I only wondered why the guy couldn't take the hint.

Chuckling, I turned my attention to another table occupied by a group of five. They were playing a game of some sort, using the fruits they'd collected as a side-dish for lunch. They all seemed very familiar, as though they'd known each other a long time before this camp, but I greatly doubted that.

Watching them filled me with a sense of longing-the way they laughed, slapped each other's hands when one reached to steal a fruit from the tray. One girl in particular laughed in hysterics throughout and I smiled remembering Larisa.

Shifting my attention once more, I saw two dark-skinned girls walk past my table, both with similar scowls. They resembled twins and looked like they were searching for a lunch table. The thought of inviting them to sit with me crossed my mind, but I decided against it. I didn't want to give off any wrong impressions.