CH. V, ill-fitted dresses

GILDED DRAGON'S BREATH

⎯GILDED DRAGON'S BREATH

✾✾✾

For the coming moon cycle, every other night Prince Aemond would enter her chambers and push her to her knees as he took her for her marital duties, when the moon cycle had passed, she received her blood and had denied the Prince from coming in the eve. She spend her day with books of the Keep's library as everyone had returned to their home and left her behind in King's Landing, and whenever she wasn't reading, she joined Helaena for embroidery.

"How—" Aurora one day tried to ask her closest friend. "How long did it take before you were with child?" she asked when she looked up the twins, babbling away at the feet of their mother with the wetnurse. "Very fast, they quickened soon after" Helaena said as she looked at the twins. Aurora had not spoken much to her husband, only when he asked her if she had eaten already when she saw him in the garden or when he asked her if she was ready before he took her in their marital bed. "It will come" Helaena said when she saw the look on Aurora's face.

"Will it stop once they have their son?" Aurora asked and Helaena furrowed her eyebrows, she knew Aemond was more than fond of Aurora, she had seen them thrive in her dreams but now Aurora's sadness and words confused her.

None had been truly Aemond's fault. He did what he believed he was supposed to as a husband, when Aegon took him to the Street of Silk and showed him how men took women to bed, he had done the same to his own lady wife, and he had no one to tell him what he did was not loving or proper perhaps.

"Are you unhappy?" Helaena asked, wondering why Aurora asked what she did. "No!" Aurore immediately said, although it didn't convince Helaena. "Tell me" she said, taking hold of her good-sister's hand as she looked at her. "Before the wedding—" Aurora started thinking of the proper words. "he seemed so more attentive, kind even" Aurora said as she looked at Helaena not wanting to insult her brother, but Helaena seemed to understand. "But now?" Helaena asked. "Now, I feel like I'm some brooding mare that he leaves after receiving what he wants" Aurora said frustrated. "He barely looks at me, why choose me if he doesn't like me?" she asked as she looked at Helaena confused.

"I wish I could explain Aemond, but there is nothing that does explain him" Helaena replied although she kept it in the back of her mind as they all joined again for supper. Just as it had ended, Aemond reached out his hand to his wife, before he was stopped. "Actually, brother, I wish to speak with you before you leave" Helaena said, standing up and linking arms with her brother which panicked Aurora slightly as she left for her room.

Helaena took Aemond to her own room and closed the door. "What is it you wished to speak to me about, sister" Aemond asked, his hands placed behind his back as he looked at Helaena who walked over and suddenly slapped him on his shoulder, before pushing him. "Why are you being a complete arse!" Helaena shouted as she hit him again, confusing the Prince who had never seen his sister this emotional and rather violent for her character. "I—" Aemond stuttered as he looked at Helaena confused. "I? I? what are you, a bloody pirate, at least you have the eyepatch to match" she shouted before she huffed.