0 1

CHAPTER ONE

✩ ✩ ✩

Sunflowers had always been Ariadne's favourite, they danced dreamily with her in the wind and taught her to always look for the sun – she figured that if sunflowers were able to smile, they would always have one upon their pretty faces, for they made her smile inside. She currently lay amongst them, her golden curls fanned above her head as though she were an angel, and it was her halo.

Her nails were freshly painted baby yellow, and she traced the embroidery on her ballgown. It was patterned with dark green flowers and had rather puffy straps which were tied into bows, the bodice was a ruched in the middle and puffed into a tulle skirt which had multiple layers, creating a puddle of fabric if she were to stand in one place for too long. Her arms were littered with priceless bracelets and bangles, rings adored her fingers and golden hoops hung from her ears.

Her eyes gazed dreamily upwards at the moonlit sky, recounting every constellation she could remember in her head and softly mumbling to herself the story behind each one. Ariadne knew she could only hide amongst the sunflowers for so long, under the watchful eye of the stars, before having to return inside her father's manor.

Her family was waiting for her, and she knew they would only wait patiently for so long. Despite her objections, her parents insisted upon her attendance at tonight's ball. It would be the last one before summer ended and she had to make a good impression on potential suitors and their families before returning to school, where she would apparently continue to disgrace the family name.

She stood sombrely and made her way slowly up the sloped grass and tried to quietly enter the parlour through a back door. Unfortunately, that was where her family sat silently, waiting for her, she tried desperately to avoid her father's stern gaze but to no avail. It was as though some kind of magic forced her up to meet his eyes, which when she really thought about it was most likely the case.

Blue met blue and Ariadne wanted the floor to open and swallow her whole, how she despised awkward silences, she always felt the need to say something that would probably embarrass her. Arrian Fawley took a slow, menacing step towards her but was interrupted by Ariadne's brother.

"Father, we really mustn't keep the Lestrange's waiting any longer."

Her father paused in contemplation, before agreeing with his son.

"You are lucky that your brother has some sense, girl."

✩ ✩ ✩

The ballroom was aglow with mindless chatter and the clinking of champagne flutes, Ariadne's heels clicked against the marble floor as she searched the sea of Pureblood maniacs for one of the two people who could help her cope with this tedious event. But the Black brothers were nowhere within her eyesight. Sighing quietly, Ariadne lifted her glass to her lips and took a small sip of Butterbeer, before she felt a hand on her shoulder which almost caused her to spill the entirety of it down her dress.

"Merlin's beard, Atlas," She mumbled, placing her hand over her heart softly, looking up at her brother.

"M'sorry," Atlas responded, "Rosier's looking for you, thought you ought to know. I told him you're wearing blue tonight, should keep the git away from you for a while."

Ariadne nodded, "Thank you. Have you seen Sirius or Reggie?"

"Over by the drinks table."

She reached down to pull her ballgown above her ankles, making it easier to manoeuvre quickly through the sea of dancing Pureblood's without tripping over.

"Ariadne," The youngest Black beckoned, waling to meet the golden-haired girl he had spotted over his older brother's shoulder.

"Reggie," She squealed, rushing over to pull the younger boy into a tight hug. "Look at you, you've gotten so tall."

"Maybe you just shrunk, I mean look at you," Regulus said sarcastically, patting her on the head causing Ariadne's smile to broaden.

"Be nice, Regulus," Sirius joked, entering the conversation, "'Adne, beautiful as always."

"Sirius, charming as ever," She pulled him into an even tighter hug than she had given his brother.

"I'll take this as my cue," Regulus mumbled, smiling slightly at the content on both his brother and the girl he viewed as a sister exhibited as they reunited the day before they would be separated again at school.

"How's summer been, 'Adne?" Sirius asked as he finally pulled away from their hug.

"Did you know Muggles believe that if you eat carrots, you'll be able to see in the dark," Ariadne rambled trying to quickly change the topic of conversation.

He looked at her with a mixed look of humour, confusion and worry, causing Ariadne to blush slightly and mumble, "Never mind."

"Summer? 'Adne," Sirius reminded causing her to sigh and confirm that all was as usual before returning the question.

"Just dandy, Mother and I have been getting along marvellously. She absolutely adores me."

Ariadne smiled sadly up at him before reiterating the promise that one day soon they would run away together and never look back.

"You want to dance?"

She nodded slightly, he gently took her hand and led her on to the dance floor. Racking her brains, Ariadne desperately attempted to recall every monotonous detail her mother had taught her during her dancing lessons. The eyes of the Sacred Twenty-eight were upon the two most dangerous anomalies ever seen by said society.

"You good, 'Adne?" Sirius whispered.

She brought her eyes up to meet his gaze and nodded slightly, his grey eyes distracting her from her intruding thoughts. For a moment, everything was perfect. For a moment everything was just how Merlin intended. For a moment, smoke grey met azure blue and the world stopped. Unfortunately, every moment has its end, and as Muggles are taught, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Therefore, every perfect moment, had an equally imperfect moment.

That moment would be introduced by the presence of Evan Rosier.

✩ ✩ ✩

I can't believe I actually posted the first chapter, let me know what you think and if you want to see more.

Please vote, comment and share.

I love you to the stars.