0 2

CHAPTER TWO

✩ ✩ ✩

"Mind if I borrow her for a moment, Black?"

"He does mind thank you very much," Ariadne responded before Sirius could, "It is rather rude to interrupt two people dancing, Evan."

Rosier rolled his eyes, "Your brother said your dress was blue. It's black."

"Atlas is colour blind, Rosier," Sirius snarked as he twirled Ariadne around, "Have a little respect, please."

"Never mind that, can I borrow you for a second?" Rosier said in a tone which suggested he wasn't asking.

She thought for a moment, "No thank you."

And with a pretty smile and a turn of the head, the pair twirled to the opposite side of the ballroom, and slipped out the French doors which open to the vast gardens. With a laugh as sweet as honey, Ariadne unbuckled her heels and followed her friend in bounding happily down the sloping grass away from the event her parents deemed a party.

They settled on a spot underneath a large sycamore tree, bluebells singing from within its branches, creating a sweet melody. Wind rustled the leaves, a few falling in preparation for the fast-approaching Autumn.

Ariadne's eyes scanned the grass until they landed on a patch of daises not a metre in front of them, she shuffled closer to it and began to fasten a chain with the flower.

"Sorry our dance got interrupted."

"It's okay," She smiled, "One second longer I would have tripped over my dress."

Sirius chuckled before noticing a slight bruise resting on her collarbone, it was yellowish, browning around the outside. It looked relatively old, but painful, nonetheless.

"What happened," He gestured to the bruise.

"I told you," She shrugged, "Summer was the same as it always is."

"I'll kill him."

"Please don't," She spoke softly, "Then you'd get into trouble."

She turned to face him, holding her creation behind her back and instructing him to close his eyes. He did, he'd do whatever she asked.

Ariadne place a crown of daisies upon his head before telling him to open his eyes, "A crown for the brightest star in the sky," she said dreamily.

She twirled around, laughing in the moonlight and Sirius gazed at him with adoration. Ariadne was truly an angel, too pure for this world. Too pretty to be human, to kind to be real. She was like the sunflowers she so deeply loved, bright and happy and forever facing the sun. She was his sunflower, had been ever since they were children. Although he'd never tell her that.

"It's such a shame we don't see each other in school," Ariadne hummed.

"I told you, you can join me anytime, 'Adne. You know my mates would be happy to have you. C'mon there not that bad, and I'll make sure James doesn't prank you."

"A badger in the lion's den, how scandalous?" She laughed, "You have yourself such lovely friends, Sirius, I wouldn't want to intrude. And I'll have you all to myself again next summer."

She sat down beside him; he wrapped his arm around her, and she laid her head on his shoulder.

"I want a dragon."

She looked at him in amusement, "A dragon? Why?"

"For emotional support."

"I thought that's what you had James for," She giggled, "How would a dragon provide you emotional support."

"When it breathes fire on the Slytherins I'd feel positive emotions."

She shook her head at him and laughed, advising him to speak to their school's gamekeeper, Hagrid about his wish, for he was always keeping weird and wonderful pets.

Ariadne looked up lazily at the sky, resuming her previous activity of stargazing. The stars under the sycamore tree were nothing compared to the ones she could see lying amongst her beautiful sunflowers. But it was better than nothing. Stars had always made Ariadne feel safe and secure.

But she was too naïve, too quick to think such a ridiculous thing, the stars couldn't protect her, not in the way she needed. The cruel irony of the situation was that her safe bubble was broken by the hiss of Arrian Fawley, the man she wished the stars would protect her from. Ariadne froze, begging her ears had just misheard the hum of the gentle breeze. The voice sounded again, and her face fell, she pulled away from her friend, looking into his similarly crestfallen face. She stood and signalled for his silence.

"Ariadne."

The voice was louder, now behind her. And begrudgingly she turned to face the livid, wrinkled face of her furious father.

"Father," She nodded.

"What in Salazar's name are you doing out here?"

Ariadne averted her gaze, resting her eyes guiltily upon the dewy summer grass.

"You shall look at me when I am speaking to you," He forcefully yanked her chin up to meet his eyeline, sending a shiver down her spine.

"Sorry, sir."

"How dare you think that you have the right to decline a dance with Evan Rosier? Do you have any idea of the embarrassment I felt hearing that from his father?" Arrian Fawley spluttered, "Who on earth do you think you are, girl?"

"Sorry, sir."

"And have you forgotten what I said about fraternizing with blood-traitors, girl," He said finally acknowledging Sirius, "It is bad enough you were not sorted into Slytherin but to be keeping the company of Gryffindors, is unacceptable."

"Sorry, sir."

"Gather your things you insolent child, we are leaving now. You have embarrassed our family enough today."

He strode off, up the slope again, and Ariadne let out a gasp as she tried to steady her breathing as she lent down to pick up her heels.

"Sorry Sirius," She murmured, not looking him in his eyes. If she were to look into his beautiful eyes her façade would crumble – and she couldn't afford for it to crumble in this moment. She had to remain stoic and strong.

"Ariadne," hissed Mr Fawley from atop the slope, breaking his daughter out of her daze.

Following him obediently, she slowly and silently made her way up the slope. Trying to savour the feeling of the soft summer grass that tickled her feet, before entering her foreseen hell.

✩ ✩ ✩

Ahhhh Chapter Twoooo

Please vote, comment and share

I love you to the stars.