1 1

CHAPTER ELEVEN

✩ ✩ ✩

Autumn was well underway, the fleeting warmth which filled September had passed with the month and a cold chill now filled the October air. Orange leaves from all the trees had fallen, leaving a crackling feeling underfoot.

A cloud filled sky hung above, projecting a subtle white hue over the cobblestone street. Slightly broken were the cobblestones, years and years of heavy footsteps and torrential downpour had left them damaged, yet it seemed only to increase the comfort of the village.

Winsome little shops bestrewed either side of the street, colourful displays filled their windows, enticing customers to enter.

A darling little sweet shop sat on one side of the street, the rich scent of sugar and spice wated throughout the store, it left a rather sickening taste in one's moth after a while - however you would return again and again just for the enticing smell. Bustling with happy students, eager to spend their pocket money on the most succulent of sweets, stuffed their pockets full with Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans, Cauldron Cakes and Chocolate Frogs.

On the other side of the street lay a vibrant pub, thronged with hectic people, drowning in a warm butterscotch flavoured beverage. The Three Broomsticks was aglow with a crepitating fire which enthralled the room with a sense of warmth you could not find elsewhere. Well, perhaps in the Hufflepuff common room.

Towards the farther side of the pub to the door, in a small leather booth, sat Ariadne. She was all bundled up, in a coat which she would rather not recount the price of - woollen gloves encased her hands, as she held a warm glass to her lips. A frothy liquid warming her from the inside out.

Sat was she with her newfound friendship circle, listening to a hyperactive Marlene rant on and on about the ever so irritating Dorcas Meadowes, a pretty girl in the year above.

"And then she claimed that I had no clue what I was talking about and that she was a better Quidditch player than me."

"The audacity," Ariadne giggled.

"I can't wait until the match tomorrow, we made a bet, you see, whoever's team loses has to resign from their Quidditch team."

"Are you sure you want to go through with the bet?" Alice asked kindly, "I mean, you don't really hate Dorcas and one of you is going to end up devastated."

"I hate her."

"You fancy her," Lily stated bluntly, causing Marlene to gasp dramatically, "Don't even try to deny it Marls."

"Ari," Marlene stated, blanking the redhead, "Would you please tell, her, that I despise Dorcas Meadowes with all of my being and that such an insinuation is deeply offensive to me, and I would like an apology."

Now, Marlene was not offended by the fact that Lily said that she fancied a girl, for she had come out when she was twelve. But for the fact that Dorcas was her most hated rival since the same age.

"Oh, don't be silly, Marlene," Ariadne told, "Lily was only joking. "Weren't you Lily?"

"No."

A sharp look was sent her way from the blonde and she was left slightly fearful.

"I think Lily only meant that you speak of her rather often, perhaps too often of someone who you despise with all of your being," Alice spoke calmly, "Maybe you have some underlying feelings that just haven't come out yet."

"Look, is Dorcas pretty? Yes. Would I shag her? Yes," Marlene started, "But do I fancy her?"

"Yes," The three others chorused before she got the chance to answer.

"The audacity," Marlene threw her head into her hands, "I don't know why I even speak to you lot."

"Oh shush, Marlene," Ariadne said rubbing her back soothingly, "We're just saying what you are trying to hide."

Ariadne was shot a deadly look also, but as she turned her head to hide a laugh which would surely irritate Marlene further a grey eyed boy made eye contact, the truly worrying thing, however, was that he sat with the likes of Rosier, Avery, Snape and Mulciber.

Jerking her head, she signalled for him to meet her outside of the cheerful pub.

"I'll be back in a minute," she said to the girls, before hurriedly following the now retreating Black outside.

"Reggie," She called, pulling him into a side alleyway, "What do you think you are doing?"

"You're the one who wanted to talk. What do you think you are doing?" He mimicked.

"Don't be clever with me, Reggie. Why are you spending your day with the likes of them?"

"What do you expect, Aria? They're on my house, I see them all the time. They asked me to join them for a Butterbeer, what did you expect me to say?"

"Hmm," She contemplated, "How about... no! You know they're not nice people, Reggie. They look up to him, Rosier especially. Plans on joining him the second he is allowed."

"They're not that bad," Regulus sighed, "And that's just hearsay, I thought you didn't like to judge people."

"It's not hearsay or judging when it's actually true. Rosier told Atlas himself, said he plans on joining him next summer."

"Atlas hates Evan!" Regulus exclaimed, "Why wouldn't he make something like that up."

"Atlas didn't make it up, Reggie, don't be foolish, "Ariadne retorted, "Now go back and tell Evan and the others that you won't be speaking with them anymore and you would appreciate if they left you alone."

"You're not my mother, Aria."

"I should thank Merlin I'm not your mother. Unlike her I only want what is best for you."

That silenced him quickly, Walburga Black was a rather sensitive topic for both of the Black brothers, Ariadne started to feel immensely guilty for using her against him.

"I'm sorry Reggie, I shouldn't have said that," She pulled him into a hug, "I just don't want you to fall in with the wrong crowd."

Ariadne was always a person of comfort to Regulus, always made him feel safe. Safety wasn't a feeling her was used to at home, the only other person to her who made him feel safe was Sirius, but nothing could compare to Ariadne and her hugs.

From what her had learned from those who had loving parents, a mother's hug was one of warmth as affection, truly the best medicine for sadness.

The only person who gave him that was her.

"I know. I'll be careful," Regulus said, "If anything happens, I'll come and tell you straight away."

"You promise?" Ariadne held out her pinky finger, then had to explain to Regulus what it meant like Lily had to do for her.

He interlocked his finger with hers, "I promise."

Ariadne then pulled him into another hug, but this time another black haired, grey eyes boy noticed, and his heart warmed.

His feelings for her grew a little bit greater every time she interacted with his little brother.

✩ ✩ ✩

Sorry for the lack of updates I haven't been feeling too well. Thank you all for the love and support on Hestia, I love reading all your comments. As always let me know what you think and what you would like to see next.

Please vote, comment and share.

I love you to the stars.