1 0

CHAPTER TEN

✩ ✩ ✩

Oh, what a cruel world she lived in. The pure evil and agony which fuelled the earth, she could feel in seeping through the ground beneath her. Torturous activity blanketed her, forcing her deeper and deeper into a hellish darkness.

Ariadne was currently in detention with Mr Filch, cleaning the trophy room over and over and over again like a house elf. No magic was permitted to be used in this tedious affair.

Beads of sweat formed on her forehead, her bones aching from this harrowing manual labour. Four hours she had been at it, no level of cleanliness was deemed acceptable by Filch. Previously thinking of Professor McGonagall as a kind, intelligent woman, she now cursed her name under her breath for punishing her with such excruciation.

If only James Potter hadn't kidnapped her on her way to class, she would have for once been on time and not tasked with such a penalty. She would most certainly give him an earful the next time they spoke.

Filch had quite recently left her alone, to go and investigate some ruckus that had sounded a few floors above. Silence now surrounded her however the noise of her own thoughts seemed to ever so quickly increase.

Thoughts of her newfound friendship with Lily, Marlene and Alice, and the happiness that had consumed her due to it. Thoughts of Sirius, whom she missed so dearly, perhaps it was time to forgive. Thoughts of Atlas and Regulus, her blood and surrogate brothers, the two she worried about so extensively, considering the dark times which encompassed their house. Thoughts of her mother and father, whom she both loved and detested at the same time, the agony they inflicted upon her was surely due to her misbehaviour not any deep-rooted evil.

How tiredness caused her brain to come up with the most intense of things.

Her newly cleaned Hufflepuff robe was tossed to the side with her school bag, which she hadn't forgotten since the ink spill incident. Her tie hung loosely around her neck, and she had grass stains on her knees due to Marlene tackling her earlier in the day because she may or may not have eaten some of her sweets.

Another great commotion reverberated around, but this time Ariadne figured it was on the same floor as she, due to the elevated sound. Followed by a loud scampering noise down the corridor and before she knew it, the door to the room was thrown open and four boys ran in and hid behind the trophy case farthest from the door.

Filch came stumbling in afterwards, beginning to demand Ariadne tell him where the cause of the explosion had hidden.

"How should I know?" Ariadne fabricated, "I've been in here the whole time."

Gritting his teeth, Filch slammed the door shut once again, returning to search for the perpetrators. With a sigh of relief, she turned around and called out for the four mischievous boys to reveal themselves, since the danger had now passed.

"'Adne, you're an angel, truly," Sirius exclaimed dramatically, momentarily forgetting they were not on speaking terms currently, as he had wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

"Thanks for not ratting us out, Ariadne," Peter piped up.

"You're welcome," She smiled sweetly, removing Sirius' arm from her shoulder and continuing on with her work.

Three of the four scattered from the room, once Ariadne had received their thanks and berated James as he was the cause of her detention, but Sirius remained behind, having told his friends to go on without him. Picking up a spare cloth, he began aiding the girl in her chores in quietude, until all trophies were sparkling clean, not a speck of dust upon them.

Ariadne's mind kept repeating to her over and over that she wasn't to start the conversation, if he wanted to speak with her so desperately, then he should make the first move.

As though he could read her thoughts, which in some strange way, Ariadne would not be surprised if he could, he stated, "I really am sorry, 'Adne."

"I know."

"Please forgive, I miss you."

"Why did you do it?"

"You're lonely, and don't even try to say that you're not because I've known you long enough to know when you are lying."

"You have also known me long enough that you should know I would have much rather you spend time with me than bribing someone else to do it."

"I didn't exactly bribe Lily."

Ariadne shot him a look of disbelief, causing him to retract his previous statement and replace it with, "It all worked out though, you and Lily still managed to become friends."

"That's besides the point, Sirius," Ariadne finally turned to look at him, "You completely forgot about me and our friendship the day you met James, Remus and Peter. I was completely irrelevant to you until it was the holidays, and I was the only person you could speak to."

"I did not completely forget about you."

"Oh, so, you only partially forgot about me then," Ariadne said sarcastically, "How wonderful, you are so kind."

He didn't quite know how to respond to that, so he just walked over to her and encased her in a long, warm hug.

A serene sense of peace and safety overwhelmed Ariadne when Sirius hugged her. He always had a magical sort of way to make her feel protected.

"I'm sorry, Sunflower. For everything."

Sunflower. That nickname that she had not a clue he called her until the day prior when James Potter had told her. It filled her heart with a fuzzy feeling which she could not quite put her finger on, but it edged her to forgive him.

"I know. We're okay."

Sirius would end up being caught by Mr Filch after all, as he let out a rather loud cry of happiness as he picked up Ariadne and swirled her around joyfully. He could not care less, however, for this signified a new chapter in their friendship.

✩ ✩ ✩

Look at me updating two days in a row. My babies Ariadne and Sirius have finally made up. Let me know what you think and what you would like to see next.

I have made a TikTok, please go follow @midsummernightss_

Please vote, comment and share.

I love you to the stars.