0 8

CHAPTER EIGHT

✩ ✩ ✩

One week. One whole week. One whole bloody week since Ariadne had spoken to Sirius. He had attempted to apologise to her, corner her in the hallways and such but she couldn't find it in herself to forgive him yet.

She knew it was petty, oh how she deeply detested pettiness, but his plan had stirred up a horrible feeling of jealousy within her. Ariadne had always felt slightly bitter towards Sirius' ability to make friends. And even more bitter towards the simply wonderful friends he had made.

They had been tied at the hip since the day they had met when they were four. Two chubby cheeked little Pureblood's dressed in the most garish occasion wear selected by their mothers, but they immediately clicked. Both of them had never enjoyed the parties thrown within their community but they finally found someone who made the two look forward to them.

Hogwarts came though, and they were separated into their respective houses, Ariadne was not oblivious to the fact that they wouldn't remain as close as they were, but she assumed that they would still interact regularly, they had of course made plans to meet every day after class under a tree which hung limply over the lake.

But a cannonball hit her in the form of James Potter. He soon replaced her in Sirius' eyes, their meetups were rather forgotten by the boy and Ariadne would be left sat under their tree alone most of the time. On the occasions that Sirius remembered, he would bring the Potter boy with him and mostly talk to him instead of her.

Then two more boys came and Ariadne's place under that tree was long forgotten, if she were to go, Sirius wouldn't, if she didn't, him and all of his new friends would be there, laughing and joking in the sun.

So, she would only speak to him during the holidays, when he had no one else bar his brother, and that was okay, he invited her to join his friends on occasion, but she just expected to be cast aside once again and so rejected these offers.

Ariadne was happy for him, of course, she wasn't a completely horrible person, never blaming him once for the deep sense of loneliness which overcame her for the longest time.

She didn't blame him for that, he would have never in a million years intended on hurting his sunflower but that feeling of hers never passed, it became an almost natural thing in her mind, so she didn't even react to it anymore, never even registering it at loneliness.

She didn't even think she was lonely anymore, but she was. So, when Lily spoke and laughed with her, she saw a potential friendship that would be hers alone with no strings attached to Sirius, but he had been the puppeteer for that whole interaction.

With that, all those terrible feelings of jealousy and loneliness were stirred once again, and she was forced to acknowledge them.

It was far easier to pretend that she was angry rather than accept that she was sad.

✩ ✩ ✩

Ariadne manoeuvred her way swiftly through the corridors of the school, finally having shaken off her follower. Sirius followed her everywhere now, apologising profusely until he had lost her in the mass of students. It was sweet, really, the lengths he was going to for her forgiveness, but she was in no such rush to hear it. Besides, she was already having the most disastrous morning.

She had once again gone down to aid Daffodil and the other house elves in the preparation of breakfast, but since she had woken up slightly later than expected, she hadn't the time to pack her bag and just stuffed all necessities into her pockets and was off.

Of course, the one day in which Ariadne doesn't bring her bag, her ink pot decides it would be a delightful idea to smash inside her robes pocket.

So, she was hurriedly rushed out of the kitchen for staining splotches of ink on the counter where she was sat but the worst part, when she was trying to remove the broken shards of glass from her stained robe pocket, she managed to slice open her finger and then promptly stain her whole hand with ink.

When Ariadne tells you that getting ink in a fresh wound stings, you have no idea.

Nevertheless, her day must go on, and so she was unusually on time to her Transfiguration lesson, a pleasant change to her string of late marks which disgruntled her parents. But it wasn't her day, and she couldn't just get to her lesson with no hiccups, for she walked straight smack into the second person who seemed to be following her, James Potter.

"Ariadne, I've been meaning to catch you."

"Please, James, can we do this another time? I really don't want to be late to class like usual."

"Nope," He said popping the 'p' and promptly dragging her unto a secluded pass way behind a beautiful, embellished tapestry.

"Please, speak."

"You need to make up with Sirius," he said blankly.

"I appreciate your concern. Truly, I do. But this is between me and him, trust me I've known him a long time. I know how to handle him."

"He worries about you, that's all. That's the only reason he did it."

"If he worried about me so much maybe he should spend some more time with me instead of bribing someone else to."

James didn't really have a response to that. For it was evident in the way he opened and closed his mouth repeatedly without any words coming out. She figured this was her opportunity to escape and perhaps still make it to her class on time but once again her blocked her path.

"Look, Ariadne, please forgive him. He's moping around like someone killed his puppy, just talk to the guy, hear him out. I can't handle it anymore."

"You can't handle it?"

"He's miserable without you, its awful. He doesn't want to do anything fun anymore because his sunflower is upset with him."

"Sunflower?"

James shrugged, "Just what he calls you. I thought it was your real name for a few months."

Ariadne giggled lightly; it was nice how much James cared for Sirius.

"I'll think about it."

Then, the most shocking thing of the entire morning happened. James Potter pulled her into a tight embrace, muttering words of thanks into her ear and doing a little dance of happiness afterwards before letting her back on her way to lesson. Which she was surely late for now.

✩ ✩ ✩

I'm so sorry there wasn't an update yesterday, I was watching Sleeping Beauty until late and then when I went to publish my internet was down, I hope this one makes up for it though - I think it's my favourite one yet.

Please let me know your thoughts and what you'd like to see next.

Please vote, comment and share.

I love you to the stars.