1 3

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

✩ ✩ ✩

Pristine white was the floor and healing charms were mumbled constantly; it became a sense of background noise in a strange way. Metal framed beds lined the walls, dressed in an impossibly scratchy cotton. Behind these were tall windows, whose curtains were drawn tight, the only sense of warmth within the room was the orange light emitting from the lamps on each bedside table.

The aura of the room was uncomfortably quiet as though something was missing from the air. Marlene had such a magical way of warming the atmosphere; she lit up every room she was in like a firework.

A multitude of chairs surrounded the bed where she lay, with a thick bandage wrapped around her head. Injuries were always a way of seeing who truly cared for you, for the room had once been filled to the brim with Gryffindor's who were ever so deeply concerned for the blonde. However, Madam Pomfrey had ushered them out swiftly, claiming that they were disturbing the other patients. Now all whom remained were the four Marauder's, the two lionesses and Ariadne.

For once, James Potter was silent. Lily would have appreciated it, if it wasn't under such tumultuous circumstances. Guilt swirled around his mind; he should have gotten to her sooner. Should have caught her. Perhaps she wouldn't be knocked out in a hospital bed if he had done his job as captain. Madam Pomfrey had mended his broken arm in a second, but Marlene's concussion still riddled her unconscious.

For once, James didn't care about Quidditch, or the fact that this was their first lost game in over a year. Him and Marlene had grown up together, their fathers were the best of friends. Oh, how furious Mr McKinnon would be with him for not protecting his favourite child.

Perhaps he was overreacting, Madam Pomfrey had said that there would be no lasting damage. But James Potter was a dramatic soul and could react as he so pleased.

"Do you think she'll actually quit the team?" Alice piped up timidly, the thought had been weighing on her for hours.

"What do you mean, quit the team? Poppy said it wasn't too bad," James asked abruptly.

"She made a bet with Dorcas –" Ariadne began.

"She hates Dorcas," James exclaimed.

"We know, Potter. Don't interrupt her," Lily told annoyedly.

"Marlene and Dorcas had a bet, whoever lost this game had to quit their team," Ariadne continued.

"Marlene can't quit!" Sirius spoke, "She's our best Chaser!"

James silenced his best friend with a deadly glare.

"I wouldn't say our best Chaser," he said arrogantly.

"I would," Lily mumbled.

The bespectacled boy would have told any other person to 'piss off' if they said such blasphemy to him, but his Lily flower was special, and he'd never say such horrible things to her.

"When do you think she'll wake up?"

"Not for a while, I don't reckon," Remus said.

"Lazy bitch," Lily muttered, causing the room to erupt into laughter.

Softening laughter was ever so rudely interrupted by the creaking open of the door to the Hospital Wing, and in walked to pretty Ravenclaw's.

One was Dorcas Meadowes, the other, perhaps even more beautiful than the former, Ariadne recognised from events regarding the Sacred Twenty-Eight, yet her name was something she did not know.