0 9

CHAPTER NINE

✩ ✩ ✩

Ariadne was unsurprisingly correct, she was most certainly late to Transfiguration, which was evident by the scolding Professor McGonagall who had handed her a detention with Mr Filch upon her arrival. Somehow, James had managed to get there much before her and saved himself from the agony.

She was seated immediately after that next to one, Lily Evans, ironically. Not sparing her a glance, she attempted to squeeze any excess ink from her robes onto a scrap piece of ink-stained parchment for herself to write with, but to little avail.

"Would you like to borrow some ink, Ariadne?"

"Only if you haven't been bribed to lend it to me."

That silenced her. Ariadne seemed to be getting better at doing that. Lily's fair skin flushed as red as her hair and she looked down at her hands, suddenly finding her unpainted fingernails wildly fascinating.

"I'm really sorry about that. I just wanted Black to leave Severus alone."

Understandable, it was very understandable. She would probably fake befriend someone to prevent her best friend from getting picked on.

"I was way out of line; it was so incredibly wrong of me. Please forgive me."

Ariadne nodded, accepting her apology and Lily let out a deep sigh of relief, she really wasn't one to hold a grudge, unless against Sirius for previously stated reasons and Lily's happiness at her forgiveness swelled her heart.

"You are really sweet, though. And maybe we could be friends, for real, this time?" Lily offered, hopefully.

"You promise this isn't another ploy?" She remarked.

"Promise," Lily swore, holding out her pinky finger for some strange reason that made Ariadne cock her eyebrow in confusion.

"It's a Muggle thing. Called a pinky promise, it's childish really, but it signifies that you really shouldn't break your promises because you could just as easily break your finger."

Ariadne's eyes widened in horror, quickly removing her pinky finger from the promise, looking at it for any signs of wicked sorcery.

"It is not really going to break your finger," Lily giggled, "I promise."

She then proceeded to invite Ariadne to sit with her and her friends at lunch, which was next period, claiming that she'd get on like a house on fire with Marlene and Alice.

"I feel like Marlene would actually break my finger, though?"

"Oh definitely," Lily confirmed, "But Alice would always heal it for you, so you needn't worry."

Unhesitatingly, causing them to burst into fits of laughter just like they did in Potions.

Sirius watched the two girls from his seat at the back of the class where he sat with one Remus Lupin. He supposed he could endure her silence towards him if it meant his little plan got her out of her shell a little bit.

✩ ✩ ✩

Lily stayed true to her word and Ariadne was currently sat at the Gryffindor table and boy did she stand out like a sore thumb in her ink-stained, yellow robes. Strange was it, sitting with friends, female friends at that. But it felt nice, right even, Marlene and Alice were just wonderful like the redhead had described.

Marlene was of a feisty nature, never one to back down from a fight. But she was a softie at heart, adored sleep more than anyone she had ever met, and her cuddly nature was foreign to Ariadne, but something that soon became rather tender to her heart.

Alice, on the other hand, was the sweetest little thing ever, would never hurt a fly. She loved plants and flowers like Ariadne and was a motherly soul. Always there to comfort you if you needed it. But deep down she was a badass, Ariadne wasn't in a rush to cross her or her most loved ones because Alice would go down swinging just like Marlene.

Mindlessly picking at her food, Ariadne's heart fluttered at Alice's suggestion that she join them for dinner also, which would save her from eating alone later in the kitchens.

"I would love to," she grinned like the Cheshire cat.

Large smiles were returned to her by the others, succeeded by Marlene asking her a deadly serious question.

"Can thestrals see each other?"

"I... wow, I really don't know," Alice thought.

"I don't think they can," Ariadne replied, causing Lily to look at her, deadpanned. "No! Listen Lily! So, if the parents have seen someone die, they can see each other but the babies would think that their food just appears and whatnot."

"But how could the thestrals birth the baby and not be able to see it" Lily asked slowly.

"And how could they shag if they can't see each other?" Marlene stated bluntly. "Imagine shagging some invisible being."

The four looked at each other in disbelief for a moment before bursting into uncontrollable laughter, attracting stares from those around them.

"No... no just wait, what if you just felt something touch you, would you just think, 'oh time to make a baby?'"

Laughter echoed throughout the group once again at Marlene's suggestion, but a burning question plagued Alice's mind, "Who would win in a fight between a thestrals and a hippogriff?"

"Hippogriff," Lily responded automatically.

"That's ridiculous, a thestrals would absolutely win," Marlene retorted.

"Are you kidding me? A hippogriff is way bigger and way stronger," Ariadne said, "A thestrals is all skin and bones, it would snap like a twig on the first kick."

"It wouldn't even be able to see it! It can't snap if it doesn't get hit," Alice fuelled the debate.

"They're hippogriffs, Alice," Lily told, "They've obviously seen death before they kill to eat, it would totally see -"

Ariadne couldn't even remember who had one such an argument, for the girls just ended up in hysterics, tears of mirth rolling down their cheeks.

Lunchtime on a regular afternoon, would spark a fast friendship between Ariadne and the three Gryffindors, who had always felt as though a puzzle piece was missing from their circle of friends, but along came the golden flower and the puzzle was finally solved.

✩ ✩ ✩

I hope you all enjoyed this little chapter, my baby Ariadne is finally blossoming <33

If any of you have any advice on how to grow my following or make my story more well known please please let me know I would appreciate it.

Please vote, comment and share.

I love you to the stars.