Fat Girl Problem 18: Rumours

"Look up," Connor demanded. 

     I sighed tiredly, even though I was really thankful of Connor. A month had almost past and we'd gotten much closer. Connor and I had worked on my confidence for the past month, and it was slowly getting better. Today was my ultimate test of looking up when I walked. I was nervous.

    "I am," I whined.

    He squinted his eyes at me. "Liar."

    I sighed again. Connor was a terrifying teacher, strict too. However, he was amazing overall. Turns out Connor was actually really nice, sweet, smart, funny, and so much more. Once you got to know him more, you could see all those wonderful traits. It made me proud to have met such an amazing friend.

     "Okay, I'll walk down this hallway with my head up," I said confidently.

     "School hasn't started, so there's no one here. This should be easy," Connor scolded randomly.

     I rolled my eyes. "What happened to baby steps?"

    "It's been a month, a long ass month."

    "Ouch." I put a hand over my chest, feigning hurt.

    I saw a small smile play at his lips, but it never ended up appearing. That was something that bothered me. His smile was his killer feature, yet he never showed it off. I should tell him...if I had more guts.

     Taking a deep breath in, I began to walk down the long, narrow hallway. My head was up, and I was pleased to hear Connor's footsteps behind me. I really didn't want to do this alone. It was scary, scary because I usually tried to pretend the stares weren't there. With my head up I could easily spot them. Thankfully, there wasn't much anymore. All thanks to Connor.

     "You're doing it," he mumbled.

     I grinned. I was doing it, I really was! There was only a quarter left of the hallway to walk down, and my head was up the entire time.

    "Strut girl!"

     I looked quickly to my right to see Thea cheering me on. I quickly smiled and waved at her. Okay, I can do this.

    Finally, I reached the end of the hall. Not once did I look down and I seriously felt on top of the world. This was a great achievement for me. I couldn't believe it was happened.

     I quickly turned around to see Connor grinning at me. His smile was as beautiful as ever, and I was so happy that I hugged him. I embraced him tightly and held onto him like he was oxygen I needed to breathe. Connor instantly flinched from the touch, but his arms soon wrapped around me. They held me tightly to him, and I felt warm and secure. 

     That was when it hit me. I was hugging Connor. Mr. Tough Guy, my protector who also terrified me. I quickly let go.

     "Sorry," I said awkwardly.

     He ignored that, even though he looked slightly uncomfortable. "You can finally walk down the hallways with your head up."

     My smile returned to me as I exclaimed, "I know right!"

    Connor's smile also returned to him and I really wanted to hug him again.

    Thankfully, Thea came up to us and said, "Good job Quinn! I'm so proud of you!"

    Before I could respond, she looked at Connor and asked, "Can we finally go on another date?"

    Internally sighing, I realized that was why she was here. Connor had told her he needed to focus on me, so they'd have to wait to go on another date. I said the same thing to Brad. A month flew by pretty quickly.