Chapter 5

Rhyel sighed as he looked back at Sana's door. How could she be from such a notable family and act as if she were some sort of servant?

"Oh, I didn't realize you were checking on Lady Sana," Zena said, walking down the hall followed by a few maids carrying a tray of food, a few dresses, shoes and toiletries. "I thought you'd be in the dungeon questioning that coachman."

"I'm going there now," he said, nodding to the maids. "I'm glad you found the rest of Sana's things. I think these will make her feel more comfortable."

"Oh, these are my clothes," Zena said as her eyes filled with sadness. "There was nothing of Sana's left in the forest besides her satchel. That's...that's all she brought with her."

Rhyel curled his hand into a fist. "I don't like this, Zena."

"Neither do I," she said, raising an eyebrow. "But I'm surprised you're taking such an interest in her."

"She's the Lady of this house of course I want to make sure she's taken care of."

"Mm-hm." Zena smirked. "Just like the other potentials that you barely spoke a word to."

"That's not true," Rhyel grumbled. "I thought you were going to help Sana settle in tomorrow."

"I was, until I realized the poor thing had nothing to wear but that tattered dress she came here in and I'm sure she must be hungry too," Zena said, nodding to the maids. "Come on, ladies. Let's get Lady Sana settled in."

"Yes, General," they said, bowing their heads. "My Lord."

Rhyel dragged a hand through his hair as he continued down the hall, making his way to the dungeon. He didn't care about Sana in the way Zena was suggesting. He just didn't like the idea that she might've been treated less favorably by her family. She deserved better than that and he would make sure her big violet eyes never held such sadness in them.

She wasn't worthless because she didn't have any abilities and he vowed never to make her feel that way.

Did Kai Lightbourne assume he would uphold the alliance whether Sana made it here alive or not? That if she did survive being left in the forest, he wouldn't care what kind of state she was in?

Rhyel grit his teeth as he took the stairs down to the bellows of the castle. He wouldn't be upholding any alliance with the Lightbournes until they gave him an explanation for Sana's treatment.

He eyed the young man cowering in the corner of his cell, clenching his arms around his knees and shivering from the dampness.

"Are you Lady Sana's coachman?"

The shaggy blonde-haired man looked up at him with his brown eyes full of fear. "I-I am."

Rhyel nodded to the guard beside his cell who slipped a ring of keys from his hip, unlocking the door.

Stepping inside, Rhyel crouched down to the shivering man. "You will tell me what orders you were given when you delivered my betrothed to me."

"Y-yes, sir."