Chapter 18

"Oo, my Lady, we heard that you'll be going into town with Lord Rhyel tomorrow," Kezi said, grinning from ear to ear as she brushed Sana's hair. "Are you excited?"

"I'm nervous," she said, squeezing her hands in her lap. "It's my first outing in town and the first time I'll be going anywhere with Rhyel. What if...what if I embarrass him?"

Not only that...what if he wanted to talk about her family again? She couldn't keep avoiding that conversation if he kept asking about it.

Eula scoffed as she closed the curtains. "How could you embarrass him?"

"I don't know. What if I say the wrong things or...or trip over my shoes?" Sana cringed. "I'm still getting used to walking properly in booted heels."

"Then my Lord better take care in making sure that he walks at your pace so you don't trip," Eula said, sliding her hands to her hips. "And you won't say the wrong things. It's hard to insult the people of the north. We're a hardy bunch and we've heard it all."

"The townsfolk will want to impress you," Kezi said, giggling as she wrapped a silk scarf around Sana's hair. "You're the first Lady who's been here this long."

Sana's eyes grew wide. "Am I really?"

"You sure are." Kezi nodded. "So everyone will be eager to meet you."

"Well," Sana said, standing from her chair. "I hope I don't disappoint them."

"Oh my dear, you could never do that. You're going to have a wonderful time tomorrow," Eula said, folding back the blankets on her bed. "Come now, get some rest."

"Thank you," Sana said, climbing into her bed. "Good night."

"Good night, my Lady," Kezi said as they bowed to her. "Would you like me to tell the night maids to make enough tea for two in the morning?"

"Oh, um." A blush scorched Sana's cheeks. "I, um, I'm not sure."

"We'll tell them yes, just in case," Eula said, giving her a wink. "Good night, dear."

Sana groaned, lying back against her pillows as she slid her hands over her face. How was she going to get any sleep when her mind was reeling with thoughts of Rhyel? Would he bother having tea with her in the morning? Eula and Kezi seemed confident that she'd be fine on the outing tomorrow, but what if she made a fool of herself?

Relax, little flame.

Sune said as he nestled on the pillow beside her.

Your maids are right. You're going to be fine tomorrow. Lord Rhyel will show you a good time and I doubt he'll have the nerve to bring up a topic like he did this morning.

"How do you know?" she said, pulling her hands from her face as she looked over at Sune. "He has a right to ask and to know about my past. He's the Lord and Alpha of the House and wouldn't it be bad if he doesn't trust me?"

Yes that is true, but he has to gain your trust as much as you need to gain his and that takes time. I'm sure there are things Lord Rhyel hasn't told you. For instance, what did he see on his quest? He should share that with you, don't you think?

"Oh." Sana frowned. "Should he? It seems like the quest was a personal experience."

Sune chuckled.

It was, but that quest had everything to do with you. So you see, Lord Rhyel has secrets to share with you too and when you're both ready, I'm sure you'll trust each other with those secrets. Just give it time and enjoy getting to know him as your friend.

Sana yawned. "Okay," she murmured, closing her eyes. "I will."

Good night, little flame. Dream well.