Chapter 31

Although Rhyel was annoyed that his uncle showed up in the manner that he did, he was kind of sad that he was leaving so soon. He didn't know what Sana and Dante spoke about, but whatever he said to her lit a spark in her and he'd never seen her glow with so much joy.

It was lovely to see her speak with pride about her life in Darcanos. He knew she was happy here, but to see her express that to his uncle warmed his heart and he wanted more than anything to keep that light shining in her eyes.

"There's no need for those tears, Sana," Lord Dante said, taking her hands as they stood on the steps of the castle. "You'll see me again soon and you can always write to me as much as you wish."

"I know," she said, blinking back her tears. "I'm just glad we got to spend this time together."

"So am I," he said, wrapping his arms around her. "Just remember what I said and you will be fine."

Sana nodded, hugging him tight. "I will. Thank you."

"You're welcome," he said, pulling away from her. "I'm looking forward to welcoming you to House Barshaa during the festive season."

Sana smiled. "And I look forward to seeing Lady Inés and Troya again."

"Ah yes, they are looking forward to it too. We will have a great feast in my son's honor for his impending nuptials," he said, turning to Rhyel. "And you, my nephew." He patted his hand against his shoulder. "Your mother and father would be proud of the man you've become."

"Thank you, I appreciate you saying so," he said, clasping his hand around his uncle's arm. "And thank you for coming to Darcanos' aid as swiftly as you did."

"You're welcome. I hope my men serve you well. The security of the wall benefits all of us in the realm," he said. "And you had better take good care of Lady Sana."

Rhyel nodded, looking down at Sana and taking her hand. "Of course I will."

"Good," Lord Dante said, wrapping his hands around theirs as his brown eyes glowed in a golden hue. "You have so much to learn about each other and I wish you both well on this journey."

"We should get going, my Lord," his coachman said, bowing as he held the carriage door open for him. "Lady Ines is expecting you in the morning."

"Yes, of course. I wouldn't want to keep her waiting," he said and smiled, squeezing their hands. "Take care of each other and I'll see you soon."

"Safe travels, uncle and give my love to Inés and Troya for me."

"Of course," he said and slid his hand to Sana's cheek. "No tears, my dear. I'll send you a letter when I get home so you'll know I'm not going to disappear again."

"I'd appreciate that." Sana smiled, wiping away a tear that escaped down her cheek. "I hope you have a swift and safe journey."

Lord Dante nodded. "I will and see you soon," he said as he walked to the carriage and waved to them before he stepped inside.

They waved back as the coachman steered the carriage through the gates of the castle. Rhyel looked down at Sana as she heaved a sigh. "Are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm fine," she said, looking up at him as she wiped away another tear rolling down her cheek. "But would you mind if we take a walk somewhere? There's...there's something I'd like to speak to you about before I lose my nerve."

"Of course. How about we take a walk to the courtyard?" Rhyel said, tucking her hand into the crook of his arm. "And you can tell me whatever is on your mind."

"Okay," she said as they walked down the steps toward a cobbled path that led down to the courtyard. "This may sound a little strange because Dante is your uncle, but he... he was like the father I never had."