Chapter 9

Why would Lord Rhyel bother to join the tour?

Surely, he had better things to do than waste his time walking around a castle he knew everything about.

Sana stole a quick glance at him and her heart thumped at her hand resting in the crook of his arm and the feel of his muscles under his leathers. Her eyes trailed up to his neatly trimmed beard, deep sapphire eyes and his long black hair that was shorn on the sides and wrapped up in a tousled bun.

Rhyel Darcanos was a beautiful man and she had no idea why he'd ever want to be seen walking around his castle with someone like her.

She didn't know what to do or what to say to someone as magnanimous as him. He walked with purpose while she was merely along for the ride, hoping to disappear or fade into the background.

Everyone treated her like his equal, but really she was just an imposter and someone was bound to call her out.

"Sana? Are you alright?" Rhyel said, catching her gaze.

A blushed burned over her cheeks as she looked away from him to the floor where her gaze should've been. "I...I'm fine."

"Oh, because I was asking you if you had a favorite book or author. You might want to take a few books to read in the evening?" Zena said as she waved her hand over the cavern of bookshelves that reached the high ceilings.

"I...I, um, I don't have a favorite book," Sana said, slipping her hand from Rhyel's arm and threading her fingers together. "I've...never been to a library."

This was embarrassing. She didn't have a favorite book or know any authors because she wasn't allowed to read anything other than recipes and instruction manuals. She wasn't allowed to read for pleasure.

"Then I'm glad this is your first," Rhyel said and her heart thumped again as he took her hand and placed it in the crook of his arm. "There are thousands of books for you to get lost in. The library is open for everyone to enjoy no matter their station."

"Really?" she said, daring to look up into his soft blue eyes.

"Mm-hm, would you like to find something to read?"

"No." Sana shook her head. "I wouldn't know where to start."

"That's kind of the beauty of the library," Rhyel said. "Sometimes I wander in here until I find something that grabs me."

"I...don't think we have time to wander, my Lord."

"Sure you do." Zena grinned. "And while you're doing that, I'm going to check on our lunch preparations."

Sana's heart clenched in panic. Zena was going to leave her alone with Rhyel? What would she say to him? She'd just embarrass herself with her lack of knowledge about books.

"Where are you having lunch? I'll bring Sana there once we finish here."

"It's being prepared in the conservatory, but don't rush," Zena said, bowing to them. "I'll see you both soon."

Sana gulped as Zena left them standing before the arched entrance of the library. There were a few people browsing the shelves and shooting a few curious glances their way.

"Are...are you sure you want to do this with me? I really don't want to waste your time, my Lord."

"Wandering around the library is never a waste of my time," he said as he guided her into the cavernous room of books. "And I'd like it if you called me by my name. There's no need for you to speak so formally to me. Can you do that?"

"Oh, okay. Yes, I-I can do that."

"Good," he said. "Now, what kinds of things do you usually read?"

"Um, just recipes and instruction manuals. Nothing very interesting."