Chapter 23

She loves it, brothers! She's not afraid and she thinks I'm magnificent!

Rhyel's wolf exclaimed in glee as he jumped over a fallen tree and zig zagged through the rocky trail.

Yes, it seems she's enjoying this.

Rhyel chuckled.

But since when have you had a name?

Dragon brother has one he shared with our Lady and I wanted one for her to call me too. Rhyn seemed fitting.

Rhyel's dragon chuffed in amusement.

It is a good name, brother. I like it.

Rhen and Rhyn...alright. I can get used to this.

Rhyel mused as Rhyn carried on through the rugged path and into another thick coverage of trees at the top of the mountain.

"Where are we going?" Sana said, digging her nails into Rhyn's fur and her fear vibrated through him as the brush along the path rustled beside them. "I...I don't like this."

You're alright, Sana. There's nothing here that will harm us.

"But what about the golems?" she whispered.

Golems don't travel this far up in the mountains. The rustling you hear are snow fairies who cultivate the land.

Rhyn let out a howl as the snow topped shrubs burst into a flurry of tiny winged beings.

See?

Sana laughed as the fairies flew around them in a snowy cloud. "They're beautiful," she said, watching as the beings flew up into the trees.

Mm, they are. Most of the creatures and beings that live in the wilds of the north prefer to live unbothered by humans.

"I suppose that makes sense," she said, releasing her tight grip in his fur as Rhyn traveled further into the woods. "And do you and Rhyel come up this far very often?"

We do. As the Alpha of Darcanos, it's our duty to watch over the people and the creatures who live here.

"Would that be part of my duties as the Lady of Darcanos too? Watching over the creatures, I mean."

If you want. Our mother took that on as part of her duties with our father. However, I don't believe Rhyel would want that for you.

"Oh." She sighed. "Is it because I don't have abilities? He doesn't think I'm capable of handling a duty like that."

No, it's not that. I'm sure once you've trained enough you'll be capable of coming out here on your own, but I think it's best if he explains it to you over lunch.

Oh, do you?

Rhyel grumbled as Rhyn walked out of the winding path into the clearing in the forest. Sana gasped as she slowly slipped off of Rhyn's back.

"This is beautiful," she said as a gust of wind and snow blew across the wide, pointed edge of the cliff that overlooked the vast lands of Darcanos. "Thank you for bringing me here."

You're welcome, Sana.

Rhyn bowed his head.

I hope you enjoy your lunch with Rhyel.

"Thank you, Rhyn," Sana said, petting the fur between his ears. "I hope we'll see more of each other now."

Of course we will. I'll make sure of it.

Rhyn lifted his head and gave her hand a quick lick before his artic blue eyes glowed and a silver mist swept over him, enveloping his body.

Such dramatics for our Sana.