Chapter 24

After Rhyel professed his admirable pledge to safeguard her from her siblings' inevitable disrespect, Sana felt comfortable with him like she could relax in his presence and he had her in a fit of laughter as he told her stories of his father's unconventional lessons to teach him how to master his abilities.

"I'm so sorry to laugh," she said, wiping her tears. "But I can't believe he brought you up here and pushed you off that cliff!"

"Mm-hm, he said the only way I'd learn to use my wings is if he taught me the way all birds teach their young," Rhyel said, chuckling as he drank from his cup of tea. "My father's lessons were very literal, but to be fair to him, I did master my abilities quickly."

"It sounds like you and your father were close."

"We were. He was my best friend besides Zena and I was close with my mother too, but her lessons weren't as drastic as my father's," he said, waving his hand over the rolling forest view. "She taught me how to appreciate the land and creatures that live among us."

Sana nodded as she watched the silver and blue tipped kestrels swoop and dive into the trees. "My mother was like that too and she was my best friend before she...passed away," she said, looking down at her cup of tea. "And when my father realized I didn't have any abilities he kept me from going on her lessons with my brother so she taught me other things like how to care for her butterflies. Then they became my friends until my father got rid of them."

"I'm sorry," Rhyel said, catching the tear that rolled down her cheek. "That must've been hard for you."

"It was," she said, shaking her head. "But I'm...I'm okay now and I don't know why I said all of that." She laughed, blinking back her tears. "I brought down the mood. I'm sorry."

"You didn't bring down the mood, Sana. Never apologize for sharing things with me," he said, leaning back in his chair. "I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to tell me that and I'll always listen."

A small smile tugged at the corners of her lips. "Thank you," she said as she gazed into Rhyel's tender blue eyes and realization washed over her like a warm soft blanket. It was easy for her thoughts to spill out of her mouth like that because being up here on this cliff with the view of Darcanos reminded her of the dream and somehow, talking to Rhyel felt like she was speaking with her dragon. He made her feel like she could trust him, just like Rhen.

"You're welcome," Rhyel said, twisting his glass around in his hand. "Can I... ask you something? And I promise it's not about your life before now."

Sana nodded. "Yes, that's fine."

"You said your father kept you from the lessons your mother taught your brother. I'm assuming those were lessons to teach him how to master his avian abilities?"

"Mm, she and my father would take him to the plains or up on the clay cliffs to teach him how to fly. My sisters learned the same way from my father too."

"I see and I know you don't have the ability, but did you... did you ever want to fly?"

"More than anything." She sighed. "It's silly, but I used to make myself wings from sticks and leaves from our garden and sneak out of the house to follow my mother and brother to the cliffs. I'd beg my mother to let me try," she said, laughing softly. "Naturally, she wouldn't let me jump off the cliff and fall to my death with my makeshift wings, but that was all I ever wanted to do. I was convinced my wings of leaves would carry me on the wind."

"I mean, your mother was right to stop you, but your creativity was admirable." Rhyel chuckled. "Do you still wish you could fly?"

"Yes." Sana bit her lip as a blush burned over her cheeks. "Even though the time for me to gain any abilities has long passed, do you...do you think it's weird that I still hope for it?"