Chapter 21

Rhyel rubbed a hand over his chest as he stared at the early morning light cascading across the wooden beams on the ceiling.

He was in Sana's dream and she opened up to him. Well, his dragon, but how was that even possible? He'd never been able to do that with anyone before. He didn't have the gift of sight like his mother's kin.

We don't have the gift of sight, but we do have the gift of connection to those with the blood of a phoenix and now we know a little more about Sana's past. Aren't you pleased with me?

His dragon rumbled in his mind.

Not really. She didn't know it was me or us. She thinks Ren is a figment of her imagination.

His dragon chuckled.

True...but maybe it will help her trust you in her waking life.

Rhyel shook his head at his sly dragon.

Possibly, but why has this connection with her only developed now? Sana has always had phoenix blood. Why have you laid dormant inside of me for so long?

His dragon sighed.

Because you weren't ready. You needed the quest to understand where your loyalties lie instead of a truemate you were never going to meet even before our father cursed the fate of your wolf.

Rhyel's eyes grew wide.

What do you mean?

Yes, I'm intrigued by this news as well. What are you on about, dragon?

His wolf murmured.

Exactly what I said. You never had a truemate. As a dragon and a Barshaa, your purpose is to protect the phoenix.

Rhyel closed his eyes as he dragged a hand over his hair.

You told Sana the love of a dragon for a phoenix is something no being can fathom to match or understand. Are you in love with her? Is she...your mate?

His dragon was silent for a moment while he stretched inside of him.

That is not a question purely for me because I am you, but my instinct is to protect the phoenix blood she carries. Why? Do you want her to be our mate?

Rhyel sat up and looked across his room at his empty bed with a blush burning over his cheeks. He couldn't fathom sleeping in his bed for fear he'd somehow conjure the witch who claimed to be his mate, but did he want Sana like that?

Did she want him like that?

I...I don't know. How would I know if Sana is my mate?

If the blood of a dragon or a phoenix is strong enough, they will call you to them. The bond is not like a wolf and cannot be rejected or tampered with like the witch from your quest. It is all consuming and timeless. We would be mated to their soul in this life and the lives that follow after it.

Rhyel's heart sank as he rubbed a hand over his chest.

Then it couldn't be Sana.

Fire raced through his veins as the claws of his wolf and dragon raked against his insides, throwing him off the sofa in a painful attack.

Why would you say that?

They roared in anger.

"Because!" Rhyel yelled as he pushed himself up from the floor. "I would've felt it by now. How is it that Jezel could smell the phoenix in her blood, but I never have?"