Chapter 29

I've never seen you angry or upset like that. Are you sure you wish to meet with this Lord Dante character? Did you bathe enough of those herbs to handle this?

Sune said, fluttering to her shoulder as Sana walked beside Rhyel to a sitting room where Lord Dante was waiting for her.

"I did and I'm fine," she said, wrapping her fingers around her dragon's breath hanging from her neck. "I was...I was only upset because I was shocked that he's here and didn't warn anyone of his arrival."

"And rightfully so," Rhyel said, wrapping his arm around her waist. "There's no need for you to worry, Sune. We'll be with her."

"Actually," Sana said, looking up at him. "If you don't mind, I'd like..." She clenched her dragon's breath. "I'd like to speak with him alone."

Rhyel frowned, turning to her. "Are you sure?"

"Y-yes," she said, bowing her head as she bit her lip. She wasn't sure she was ready to hear the answers she seeked and she certainly didn't want Rhyel or Sune to know the depth of the questions she wanted to ask. "But only if you will allow me to."

"You don't need my permission," Rhyel said, curling his fingers around her chin. "If that is what you wish, then Sune and I will respect it." Rhyel slid his gaze to Sune perched on her shoulder. "Right?"

While I don't agree with this and I'd prefer to stay with you.

Sune flew to Rhyel's shoulder.

But if that is what you want, then of course I'll respect it.

"I'm...I'm sorry."

"You don't need to apologize. I understand why you want to do this by yourself," Rhyel said, sliding his hand to her cheek. "Just know that when you're ready to talk to me about it, I'll be here to listen."

"Thank you."

"Of course," he said, offering her his arm. "Would you mind if I still escort you to the room?"

"No, I don't mind that," she said, slipping her hand in the crook of his arm. "I'd feel better if you did."

Sana gripped Rhyel's arm as they neared the double doors of the sitting room. She knew what she wanted to ask Lord Dante after all these years, but she hadn't thought about how she'd feel when she saw the man who always treated her as if she were a true Lightbourne even after her mother died. He was... he was like family to her. At least, that's what she always thought, but now...

The doors of the sitting room opened and Sana held her breath as Zena, Oziel and Lord Dante stood when they entered.

He was just as she remembered. He'd aged since she last saw him, of course. Wrinkles were etched on his light brown skin around his eyes and across his forehead. His short curly hair was more white than the black it used to be, but his bright golden brown eyes held the same joy as if the sun shone behind them and his aura hummed like a warm welcome after a long journey.

"My Lady." Zena, Oziel and Lord Dante bowed.

"I'm honored that you wished to speak with me, Lady Sana," Lord Dante said, looking up at her with a warm smile tugging at his lips. "It has been too long since I've seen you."

Sana returned his smile and nodded. "Yes, it has and it would have been nice to have some warning of your arrival."

"Yes, I'm terribly sorry for any harm I caused you," he said, clasping his hands in front of him. "Lord Rhyel and his senior counsel have already forbidden me from entering Darcanos lands in the future without forewarning."

"That's right and we would've sent him away already if it weren't for Lord Dante's generosity in helping to reinforce the wall," Zena said, crossing the room and taking Sana's hand. "I'm so glad you recovered. I was worried about you."