nine.

͙⁺˚*・༓☾

͙˚*

"so how did the essay go? did you get a one hundred percent?"

"jake, i just turned the essay in today. i won't get a grade back for at least a week."

"you know, i've never understood why professors like to assign ten-plus page papers. they think they're making us suffer by writing it, but they're the ones who have to read, like, thirty of those! pretty stupid if you ask me."

"i didn't ask you though."

"but you agree with me, right?"

"...you do make a valid point."

"see?! you and me, always on the same wavelength, seungie."

"you know, being available everyday at noon is interesting for a college student. do you really have nothing else to do midday?"

"i told you i quit my job, didn't i? don't worry, though, i've been job hunting. but yes, i only take morning classes, so no plans for me. except calling you, of course."

"what was your previous job? if you don't mind me asking..."

"you kidding? seungie asking me about my life? is it christmas?"

"very funny. answer the question before i take it back."

"it really wasn't anything special. i worked at the front desk of the university gym."

"oh, you had an on-campus job? that's convenient. why would you quit?"

"it's...uhm, i just... didn't like the environment, i guess. plus i worked there over the summer, too. do you go to the gym?"

"i went a lot last year, actually. i don't go much anymore now."

"no kidding! i first started this job spring of last year! maybe we've already met before. don't you just love the way the universe works, seungie?"

"the universe is full of surprises, that's for sure."

"you know, as we speak, i'm currently scrolling on our university's website looking for job openings. alright, which sounds more appealing? physics teacher assistant or housing and dining customer service representative?"

"ugh, snooze fest for both of those. especially physics."

"hey! i'll have you know, physics is my best subject. i'm not only handsome, but i'm smart. i'm truly the full package."

"humble certainly isn't on that list."

"funny and charming is on yours, though."

"..."

"maybe an on-campus job isn't the best option. i'm still waiting to hear where you work, seungie. i mean, we have to meet sooner or later. wouldn't working together be adorable?"

"my workplace isn't hiring right now."

"neither is jungwon's. but he works at the gas station, so i definitely am not jumping up and down about applying there."

"is it the gas station two blocks away from campus? the one next to that old-school-looking diner?"

"that's the one!"

"i go there all the time...does jungwon have dark brown hair? kinda short? really smiley and..dimpley?"

"holy crap!! that's spot on! wait a minute, you've met my stupid brother before you've met me?! this is just messed up."

"well at least i feel better about not being catfished or something."

"you still think i'm an old creep, huh? i'm wounded, seungie."

"no, i know you're not. just...this whole situation still seems kinda crazy if you think about it."

"hm, i suppose so. it'll make for a great story to tell our grandkids though, won't it?"

"you're relentless."

"it's my middle name."

"good luck with your job hunting, jake. i gotta get back to my job, though."

"i hate how short our calls are. i could talk to you for hours."

"pft...trust me, you'd get bored of me."

"impossible. besides, we talked pretty long yesterday."

"it was all about my essay, though."

"then let's make our next one not about an essay. if night time is more lenient for you, then expect a surprise call from me sometime soon. we can talk until sunrise."

"don't you have morning classes?"

"gasp! you remembered! you care about me, don't you?"

"you just told me that fact five minutes ago, of course i remember."

"let me have this win, seungie."

"alright, jake. talk to you soon."

"you can count on that."

CALL ENDED.

͙˚*

as heeseung hangs up the phone call, ready to head back out to work, a moment from their conversation lingers in his mind.

jake was going to provide a different reason as to why he quit his job, but he stopped himself. why?

the question stays with him throughout the rest of his shift.