Chapter 3

We decided to stop at a restaurant just outside the hotel for breakfast.

I order the drink first.

- I'd like a skim latte with three jets of vanilla, very little foam and very hot.

Kazuha squinted at me and turned to the waitress.

- Did you write everything down? She'll want two servings of hot coffee with extra cream.

Bertha - as her badge indicated - didn't seem to be amused in the slightest.

- We only have decaf or regular coffee - she said monotonously, holding up a bottle.

- I'll have a black coffee then.

- Bring two - said Kazuha.

She poured the coffee into our cups.

- I'll be right back to take your orders.

Kazuha was laughing at me as she shook a packet of sugar. I crossed my arms.

- What's so funny?

- You.

- What about me?

- Did you really think you could order your refined drink in a place like this?

- Who doesn't have a latte? Even McDonald's has them!

- Let's get a latte and a Happy Meal with a little toy inside for dinner. Would that make you happy?

Shaking my head, I looked at the menu. There was nothing I could eat.

- Everything is too greasy.

- Hmm. Bacon. A little fat now and then won't kill you.

- I've already consumed my monthly quota of fat... yesterday's chicken pieces.

- Monthly quota?

- Yes. One piece of crap a month. - I sighed. - There's nothing healthy here. I don't know what to choose.

- Don't worry, I'll order for you.

- What's that? No.

Kazuha held up his finger.

- Bertha, darling? We're ready.

God, she had the ability to make even that unsympathetic waitress blush.

- What'll it be?

She pointed to the menu.

- I'll have what you call a heart attack on the plate. She'll have plain rye toast with butter.

- I'll get it for you.

- I'm only having dry toast?

- No. You'll be eating your way through my plate in no time. You just haven't realized it yet. The toast is just my way of showing you that you don't want the things you say you want. And many of the things you think are bad are the ones that, deep down, you want the most.

- Oh, really...

- You can't fool me. The more you try to be good, the more you long to be bad. Not only will you eat my greasy food, but you'll taste my dick sauce and you'll love it.

- What's it like? Your what?

Kazuha tilted her head back and laughed before opening her jacket pocket. She placed a plastic bottle on the table. It had a bump on the front.

- Also known as Sriracha, a Thai chili sauce. I never travel without it.

Bertha brought an oval plate with scrambled eggs, home fries, Calabrian sausage, bacon, Canadian ham and ground beef with potatoes. She placed it in front of Kazuha before handing me the small plate of toast.